Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Retrofit DVD Navi in my E220CDI W211

Hi
I have finally managed to install DVD Comand and the Dvd Navi in my E 220CDI 2002, W211, just to find out that i do not have a power cable installed for the navi processor in trunk. I have connected the navi processor to MOST through AGW, and the antenna splitter and wirings is coupled, so i just need the power to make it work
It should be possible to make a power connection, but i just cant find out where the Navi processor takes the power from?

Please help.

Kallekå

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Today i got the DVD navi processor power cabel harness A211 540 91 09 98, and have connected it to the SAM unit in trunk. From the same wiring harness there is a pink wire that should be connected to the MOST wake up-line at the AGW.
I cant find out where to connect it.

Please help!

Kalle

·
Registered
Volvo 940GLE, GMC Suburban, Infiniti I30, Toyota Prius, VW GTI, MB SLK350, Lexus IS250
1,063 Posts
The MOST wake-up bus connector is under the carpet near the left front door sill for a W211. You will need a crimp wire termination connector and insert it into an empty position. Here is the part number.

A 013 545 15 26

Since it is a bus, you can temporarily crimp it onto another Wake-up line with an insulation displacement connector. But to avoid complaint by dealer techs late, I strongly suggest you use the correct connector.

·
Registered
E220 CDI StationWagon w211 10/2003
15 Posts
hi Kallekå

Can you put there one pictures of your conection on SAM?

Thanks

I have the same problem.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry, i don`t have a digital camera. But its a very straight forward connection, the cabels just fit in one place. And the SAM unit is standing next to the navi unit brackets in trunk.
Hope this helps.

Kalle

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have now managed to get the map information on the Command display and everything seams to be in perfect working order, exept for one thing.
The map shows my position to be in Hamburg Germany when i actually are in the very north of Norway.
I suspect my GPS, maybe the antenna. Can i use a different one then the factory installed GPS/GSM antenna. And just connect it to the navi processor in trunk?

Any ideas of what the problem might be?

Kalle
MB E220CDI, 2002, W211

·
Registered
222.132 & 221.122 & 213.050 & 906.633
10,425 Posts
Kallekå said:
I have now managed to get the map information on the Command display and everything seams to be in perfect working order, exept for one thing.
The map shows my position to be in Hamburg Germany when i actually are in the very north of Norway.
I suspect my GPS, maybe the antenna. Can i use a different one then the factory installed GPS/GSM antenna. And just connect it to the navi processor in trunk?

Any ideas of what the problem might be?

Kalle
MB E220CDI, 2002, W211
Several forum members have used a non-MB antenna. But how many satellites does your navi show, is it zero?

Are you sure your original antenna was GPS capable? Actually I did not read back all the posts and am not sure if you did install an antenna with the navi device.

If you did use your original antenna, with your VIN we could have a look if it is e.g. cell phone only (plus aux heater?).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks.
My car has a factory installed GSM/GPS antenna at the rear window, its GPS capable for sure.
Today i tried with a non-MB antenna with the same result, 0 satellites.
I still believe its the antenna that causes the trouble.

Not sure what you ment by VIN, but my chassi is: WDB2110061A140044

Kalle

·
Registered
10,425 Posts
Kallekå said:
Thanks.
My car has a factory installed GSM/GPS antenna at the rear window, its GPS capable for sure.
Today i tried with a non-MB antenna with the same result, 0 satellites.
I still believe its the antenna that causes the trouble.

Not sure what you ment by VIN, but my chassi is: WDB2110061A140044

Kalle
So it is an ex-taxi. Your datacard does not show the car had navi from the factory, it "only" had telephone support, code 380 plus GSM antenna 354. It should be a different part number if it included GPS antenna, even if it looks the same.

Do you mean the antenna has been changed (by previous owner or yourself)?

Anyway odd if you did not succeed with another antenna, I assume you were at an open space when you tried.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yepp, its an ex-taxi. I was told bye a car salesman that this car had the GPS/GSM antenna. So maybe its not there. Is there some easy way to check it out?
And yes, i have installed the Comand APS and navi drive after the car was bought. I have the latest comand software and a map DVD version 6.0 2007.

How can i find out if the antenna (non-MB) is working as it should?

Kalle

·
Registered
10,425 Posts
Kallekå said:
Yepp, its an ex-taxi. I was told bye a car salesman that this car had the GPS/GSM antenna. So maybe its not there. Is there some easy way to check it out?
And yes, i have installed the Comand APS and navi drive after the car was bought. I have the latest comand software and a map DVD version 6.0 2007.

How can i find out if the antenna (non-MB) is working as it should?

Kalle
I cannot think of anything else than measuring with a spectrum analyser or a measurement receiver the signal from the antenna at the GPS frequency band, if you want to check it directly from the antenna.

It would likely be simpler to test the antenna on a car where the navi already works.

The part number of the car's original antenna would tell if it has GPS supported or not. I'm afraid that it is difficult to access the antenna to have a look at the part number.

I guess you cannot rely a lot on an unknown person at a car forum but I would not rely a bit more a sales guy. Anyway what I did was I had a look at the EPC with your car VIN and it did indicate the Ctel-antenna for this car. Another part option would have included GPS support too.

Here you can see the different antenna options:
http://www.detali.ru/cat/oem_mb2.asp?TP=1&F=211006&M=646.961&GA=722.699&GM=716.649&CT=F&cat=64U&SID=82&SGR=345&SGN=19

Buy the way, nothing wrong with an ex-taxi car, just mentioned it for an example of the info you get against the VIN.

I hope you luck with the rest of the Navi installation, you must be very close to a working system, quite unlucky if there was a problem with your second antenna.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for your effort, appreciate it.
I think I`ll try to test another antenna first. Anyway, today when i was driving i recognized that the coordinate changed along the way. I also get voice prompts on which way to turn and so on. So,..... how can the comand know that i`m on the move if it gets no GPS information?

Kalle

·
Registered
10,425 Posts
Kallekå said:
Thanks for your effort, appreciate it.
I think I`ll try to test another antenna first. Anyway, today when i was driving i recognized that the coordinate changed along the way. I also get voice prompts on which way to turn and so on. So,..... how can the comand know that i`m on the move if it gets no GPS information?

Kalle
The in car navi is using gyros and speed/distance info from your car, like when you go into a tunnel it still works quite fine without any satellite info.

I've never seen it a long time out of satellite info but it must assume the last known position and then continue with the gyros forever as if it had GPS info.

I assume you mean it did not give you the correct voice guidance etc. as it assumed you are in a different place?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So its the canbus that provide the Comand with info about my movements. It makes sense.
No, i get wrong messages on where to turn. Most of the time it shows me off-road.
Do you know if the antenna puck (non-MB) can be mounted horisontal, upside down or even vertical? The one i have (made in Taiwan) has a magnet plate at the bottom. No brand name, but has the number A198853.

Kalle

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Success ! The antenna is weak, but function properly when placed outside the car.
I now have a functioning system just need to replace the antenna.

Thanks to all for helpful information.

Kalle

·
Registered
10,425 Posts
Kallekå said:
Success ! The antenna is weak, but function properly when placed outside the car.
I now have a functioning system just need to replace the antenna.

Thanks to all for helpful information.

Kalle
Great you got it working. Are you going to buy another non-MB antenna and place it somewhere to the top of the instrument panel? I believe there should be space for a GPS antenna and your windshield should not be IR/RF protected (and in any case there should be an opening at the centre/lower part).

The OEM antenna at the top of the rear window/roof would be ideal for satellite reception.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I`m still not convinced that the antenna at the rear window isn`t a GPS signal unit also. Anyway, its not working as it should, so i will replace that one with one that recieves GPS signals also.
Do you know where to find working instructions on how to remove necessary parts to do the job?

Kalle

Kalle

·
Registered
Volvo 940GLE, GMC Suburban, Infiniti I30, Toyota Prius, VW GTI, MB SLK350, Lexus IS250
1,063 Posts
Kallekå said:
I`m still not convinced that the antenna at the rear window isn`t a GPS signal unit also. Anyway, its not working as it should, so i will replace that one with one that recieves GPS signals also.
Do you know where to find working instructions on how to remove necessary parts to do the job?

Kalle

Kalle
One alternative is just buy a 3rd party antenna and place it inside the rear windows. An antenna with HRS connector is available on eBay.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts