Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2002 C320 Wagon Sport
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:bowdown: I'm new to the forum, and really like the wealth of information here. I recently purchased a C320 Sport Wagon and wanted info on the YeleAid System in the vehicle. :crybaby2:

I was told I couldn't use the system in the vehicle as is I would need to purchase a retrofit upgrade unit to convert to digital from analog. Can you provide any information on what I can do to purchase this upgrade or suggestions on an alternative to use this system.?

·
Registered
ML320/C320 Sprt
4,649 Posts
yes, the current tele aid is run by cellular analog system, as youcan see I have C320 as well with tele aid from the factory, which i can only renew it till Dec. 07 and after that everything will be digital so our system is not compatible to their digital provider, unless you have to purchase their upgrade software for our system which is $1,500.00 plus labor, i don't know how much. the good thing is we don't need to renew it for the life of our car. I renewed mine till DEC. after that I'm not going to.

I'm not sure if they can do it if your car have not installed an original tele aid. maybe I'm wrong. good luck and welcome to BW board.

·
Registered
2002 C320 Wagon Sport
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you JimB, I already have TeleAid installed with the vehicle when it was purchased pre-owned but it wasn't active. When I called TeleAid they told me I need the retrofit upgrade to the digital system. I was told to shop around by MBUSA customer service, because the upgrade varied in price with dealers.

Also, the price I was given was $600.00 for hardware, $224.00 for one yr of service and a $100.00 discount for a total of $724.00 for service, minus labor.

$1148 for a 2 year agreement and $1500 for lifetime service.

Do you know of any other Tele systems on the market that would be fitting for the MB? Or if there is one available discounted?

·
Registered
ML320/C320 Sprt
4,649 Posts
just my honest opinion, if you really want to have your Tele Aid activated, why not go to the original, getting after market tele aid, can mess up your wiring and you might getting a problem later. $1500 isn't really that much if you want to keep your car for long.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
11,067 Posts
newworld said:
Also, the price I was given was $600.00 for hardware, $224.00 for one yr of service and a $100.00 discount for a total of $724.00 for service, minus labor.

That price is consistent with the pricing reported by at least one other contributor. See the section on tele-aid upgrade at http://www.benzworld.org/forums/audio-telematics-forum/1313173-how-guide-cell-phone-upgrades-plug-bluetooth.html I don't know what the dealers charge for labor, but it seems largely a removal and replacement of the old Tele-Aid module that should be fairly straightforward - even a simple DIY project (possibly requiring version coding - but possibly not).

The price given to JimB seems excessive; however, because Tele-Aid integrates your GPS to report your location upon airbag deployment and also provides a way to locate your vehicle if stolen (if you sign up for that option), it is less than likely you'll find quite the same 3rd party solution.

·
Registered
2002 C320 Wagon Sport
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh ok, an thank you. A DIY project would be great for me. I wonder would the dealer allow me to buy it. Or do you guys know of any places to acquire the module? Once again thank you.

·
Registered
Volvo 940GLE, GMC Suburban, Infiniti I30, Toyota Prius, VW GTI, MB SLK350, Lexus IS250
1,063 Posts
Skylaw said:
The price given to JimB seems excessive; however, because Tele-Aid integrates your GPS to report your location upon airbag deployment and also provides a way to locate your vehicle if stolen (if you sign up for that option), it is less than likely you'll find quite the same 3rd party solution.
The TeleAid box has its own GPS processor so essentially a standalone box. It works whether the car has Command Nav or not.

To Newworld,

Here is another similar discussion:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/general-mercedes-benz/1313814-teleaid-worth-activating.html

·
Registered
E-350 black 220,000 miles, going strong!
119 Posts
it may be a bit late for you however the stand alone gps' systems are much better. as the blogger on these said; the factory ones are dumbed down for everyone. the real techis would be better served to get a dedicated one like magellan or garmin or a host of others. one apparent diff is that your bluetooth enabled phone will work with it to be handsfree.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
11,067 Posts
Standalone GPS systems will not integrate with COMAND, automatically sending location on airbag deployment. That feature is built into the Tele-Aid electronics. To maintain it, if desired, the older analog Tele-Aid modules must be replaced by digital ones.

Additionally, the $1500 price quoted earlier for Tele-Aid upgrade includes a 3 year or more subscription to Tele-Aid in addition to equipment cost. Shorter subscriptions are available, bringing the price down. With a 1-year subscription, expect about $900 installed.

Mercedes has updated its information on Tele-Aid analog to digital upgrades recently; see Mercedes-Benz USA, Mercedes Care, Client Care, Tele Aid

·
Registered
Volvo 940GLE, GMC Suburban, Infiniti I30, Toyota Prius, VW GTI, MB SLK350, Lexus IS250
1,063 Posts
I believe the FCC mandated analog cellular turn off date is Feb 2008. MB's Teleaid carrier may turn off earlier.

The last analog only area I came upon is the stretch of US84 between Santa Rosa and Fort Sumner, NM. My digital only phone could not get any reception there. That was in 2004.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts