Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1995 E320
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had foot surgery on both feet recently and have been homebound for the last 3 1/2 months. Decided to go watch Batman last night (cabin fever) and my car died on the freeway onramp.

Just no power all of a sudden. Turned it off, tried it again, observed good oil pressure, put it in gear, died right away. Tried again, revving the engine to 1500rpm before changing gear. It idled with left foot braking for a few seconds then died. Tried it again and it wouldn't even idle. So I called my brohter to come tow me.

This is the rant.
Which genius engineer decided that the air intake should be right next to the tow hook (124.032) placed in such a way that you can't thread a decent sized chain with a clevis hook on the end? Previously i've only had to tow my BMWs which being vintage weigh maybe 2400lbs. I've always just used a rope but I told him to bring a chain for a car this heavy.

And which retarded purchasing agent for Home Depot (closest. It was getting late too. 9pm) decided it was fine to import chains from China whose links are too small for the clevis hooks they are attached to? I had to thread the chain in the tow hook, wrap it around itself a couple of times and then try to insert the hook through a link.

All of this is on one foot; I had foot surgery remember?

Anyway, the stupid chain dislodged itself from the Lincoln Navigator and I was left adrift for a minute while the chain went under the car and tore my lower valance apart.

Aaaaaaaarrrrrrrgggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!

I managed to get it home but i'd aggravated my foot by trying to push off it while hooking up the chain, so I had to just go straight to bed to elevate my foot. It's been a drug addled daze most of to day, but I think I might go check it out.

Any thoughts on what it could be? Car drove fine for about 5 minutes then died.

·
Registered
1990 Mercedes Benz 300E
1,336 Posts
Sounds almost like the throttle was reduced by the traction control function. Failing TCM? (assuming both engine harnesses were replaced).

·
Registered
'04 G500, '00 E55 AMG, '90 300TE 4Matic, '82 240D
1,951 Posts
jeeze sounds like a rough night, did you at least get to see batman?

·
Registered
W124 E420 : W220 S500 : W222 S550
402 Posts
look...... dude...... man ........ dude man....

I was on the floor with your description "I was left adrift for a minute"......

I laughed to tears as I typed this.........

glad you are okay............

·
Registered
1995 E320
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
? You read the codes on it?
I read the codes from the built in LED thingamajig and got code 4 and 7.

According to the chart, code 4 is the HFM (Air Mass Meter) and code 7 is an ignition problem.

So, I went to RadioShack and made the code reader.

On pin 8 I only got code 21 which corresponds to the coil for cylinders 1 and 6.
On pin 14 I only got code 11 which is listed as

Closed throttle recognition signal to engine control module (HFM-SFI or Left LH-SFI)
Fuel safety shut-off to engine control module (HFM-SFI or left or right LH-SFI)
It seems the codes back each other up. The misfire is from the malfunctioning coil and the other code requires the replacement of the Air Mass Meter. Anybody have anything else to add before I go and purchase these two items?

Like I said, I am only just getting back to walking. Today is the first day I have tried walking without crutches for the first time in 3 1/2 months so I was leery to walk the 200 meters to the car to check it out (apartment living in LA. No damn street parking near where you live unless you get off work at 3 in the afternoon....) and back.

I managed both tasks (walking to and fro and checking the codes) adroitly.

·
Registered
W124 E420 : W220 S500 : W222 S550
402 Posts
I had the same two codes "closed throttle recognition" and "Fuel safety shutoff"

In my case, I had changed the Elec. Throttle Actuator and adjusted the throttle linkage. I kind of just "refused" to adjust the cable running from my gas pedal to the linkage at frst - hey, I hadnt touched it during the ETA R/R, but it ended up being the source of my problem. The closed throttle switch? on the gas pedal did not have the right tension from the cable to hold its position correctly (cant explain any better - the cable was very slightly loose). I adjusted it and both codes went away......in my case.

take your time on your recovery.... glad to know you are getting back on your feet - I will see batman pretty soon myself.

On pin 14 I only got code 11 which is listed as

It seems the codes back each other up. The misfire is from the malfunctioning coil and the other code requires the replacement of the Air Mass Meter. Anybody have anything else to add before I go and purchase these two items?

·
Registered
1995 E320
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have to walk as much as possible to speed up the recovery. It's quite interesting when you can sorta feel your toes being pinched by the shoes but can't quite tell when you've stepped on the ground. Oh well.

I changed out the coil and the misfire is still there. I didn't clear the codes or read them again. Tried to do it earlier but the hose clamp near the throttle body was a nightmare to loosen. I drove to a parts store that used to be open 24 hours but now its closed by ten pm. So I had to put it off because there was a very important rugby game at 0030hrs. I then had to resort to driving to the nearest 24 hour Wal Mart (I hate WalMart) at 0300hrs to buy a set of screw drivers. Did it at 4 in the morning and now I am very tired.

Top tip.
If ever you do this and you do get that hose clamp loosened, point it so that a long screwdriver can access if from the front of the engine bay. Or use a 7mm wrench. Tat was NOT fun.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,705 Posts
You have one of the first drive by wire cars, so some things are in prototype stages on it. Meaning hard to predict, but on newer cars MAF has default program that will keep the engine running. With codes and lower performance, but the engine would never die.
Still first MAFs don't have good reliability records so buying new one -even for spare is good idea.

·
Registered
1990 Mercedes Benz 300E
1,336 Posts
HFM sensors are alot more sensitive to contamination via carbon build-up compared to hot wire mass sensors. If the wire mesh is contaminated chances are there is no way to clean it properly and the sensor should be replaced. On my old Corolla I used to hose down the hot wire mass MAF with electronics cleaner every 30k km. Seemed to keep the thing clean.

·
Registered
1995 E320
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I cleared the codes, sprayed the air flow meter with special cleaner, still have a misfire and check engine light. Disconnected the battery to clearance CE light and started it; no codes in the system, no CE light, but it's clearly running on 5 cylinders. I put a bottle of Techron fuel injector cleaner in the tank, but I suppose it hasn't had enough time to to manifest.

Went and bought a spark plug boot at the dealer, so I'll try that tonight.

The good thing, I suppose, is that it doesn't die when I try to drive it. Although I haven't driven it more than a few hundred meters in a residential zone.

·
Registered
1995 E320
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Now I have 10 flashes on the built in LED (voltage at air mass sensor too high/ low) and 4 flashes on pin 8 (HFM air flow sensor) and nothing on pin 14.

BUT I still have a misfire and no check engine light!!!!!!!

This is becoming very aggravating.

·
Registered
1990 Mercedes Benz 300E
1,336 Posts
Have you checked the leads going to 1, 3, and 5? Maybe there is a loose lead or one of them requires replacement.

·
Registered
1995 E320
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Have you checked the leads going to 1, 3, and 5? Maybe there is a loose lead or one of them requires replacement.
I've been doing all this at night as it's cooler and I prefer the quiet and solitude. This means i'm mentally fatigued and prone to missing such common sense possibilities as you've just mentioned. (Case in point, hopped into bed a 4am this morning, woke up just before 8am to catch a rugby game in South Africa. You can imagine how exhausted my brain will be at 3am tomorrow morning as I am trying out a few more things.) Thank you for being the watchful eye over my shoulder.

The sad thing is, as I was taking the lead of the coil I thought to myself "that come off rather easily," and perhaps I just hadn't pushed it on firmly enough and maybe that was the cause of my problem. So I buttoned everything up again (1 and 6 coil only though, located above cylinder 6) and tried it with the same result; misfire and vibration. I didn't think to check if i'd maybe mislodged one of the other ones.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts