Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2007 R171 slk280
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have this message on the instrument cluster after a minor fender-bender to my R171 2007 slk280 :

"Restraint System Malfunction Visit Workshop SRS"

The damage was superficial -no airbag deployment but the driver's seat belt restraint system did operate. The consequence is :

1.the warning message above and
2.the driver's seat belt buckle has shortened -part of the tensioning process.

I shall get the seat belts removed.checked and repaired. I have found a vendor who specializes in such work and plan to report back to the Forum on their work because they are much cheaper than the MB dealer.
**The problem is to know if a "crash" module needs to be replaced or just reset and if so - which one and where is it located please?
I realize I shall have to pay the MB dealer to clear the SRS message but I want to do as much replacement/repair work as I can independently before I open my purse at the MB dealer.
I would be grateful for any guidance and particularly a referral to the technical information on the MB SRS system.

·
Registered
2007 R171 slk280
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Before you even start this job, find all the info you can on removing the seats,the electrical connectors and the seat belts.This is not a job for the average DIY person.
To remove the seat you need to disconnect the Yellow connector that is attached to the underside of the seat.Then you have to separate one small fiddly part of that connector.It is easy if you know exactly where to press/pry/push. So do not use force-you'll probably break the connector.
To remove the cover on the side of the driver's seat there is a tricky clip at the rear of the squab.Do not try to disconnect it until everything else is disconnected -two small screws at the front ,two push/pull clips. The rear clip is NOT push/pull !! To disconnect it, slide the entire cover to the rear of the seat.
When trying to extract the retractable seat belt from the bulkhead, expect a struggle.It has a tricky electrical connector that is tiny and fragile. Flip open the 'lock' on the top of it. Then pull it GENTLY upward. No,it does not slide or twist off.
The retractable mechanism is tightly wedged up against the bulkhead with foam. You'll need lots of patience and strong fingers to slowly wriggle it free.While you are there check the torque on all the bulkhead bolts. All mine were barely more than finger tight! A little thread sealer(blue or green not red) to stop them vibrating loose and at least 10Nm is probably a good idea.
This whole area looks like a huge water-trap to me.
Oh and as you'll discover if you didn't read this far before starting the job - it is easier with the roof retracted/down.
I hope this helps and perhaps a sticky could be created to collect all these suggestions on specific tasks like this which may seem simple but have numerous pitfalls for the unwary ?
In a separate thread I'll post which fuses to remove so the airbags don't explode. Hint -check before you pull the seat out! The fuse pulling avoids the need to disconnect the battery which can create other tedious little problems.

·
Registered
2007 R171 slk280
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had both the buckle and the seat belt tensioners and ballistic charges repaired/replaced . I used Safety Restore a new small company. They gave a same day turn-around and a very economical job.
seat belt - Safety Restore
I was fortunate to speak with the Tech(Alex) -who has a Mercedes C230 ,so he was able to answer a few Mercedes quirky questions I had.

If you do this job , take lots of photos to help you replace the wiring connectors and harness correctly I would have made several errors without my captioned photos to refer to.

I did not disconnect the battery for the removal or install. I just pulled the appropriate fuses. This yielded two surprises:
1. a very detailed Fuse map is neatly folded and perched inside the fuse box on the driver's "A" pillar.
2. The fuse box in the engine compartment (driver's side again) has a huge hole at the back .It looks like it should have had a huge rubber grommet in it.The hole is fist sized! This may explain why I was hearing too much valve gear clatter in the cabin. I temporarily stuffed the hole with a wad of domestic fiberglass insulation to see if that reduces the noise transmission. It is worth noting that there is a similar 'unfinished' huge hole on the passengers side .It leads to the cabin air blower. So that is two large holes transmitting noise into the cabin!

·
Registered
2007 R171 slk280
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This has been a rather solitary correspondence but for the sake of completeness:
The error code in MB Star Diag that was resolved by the work outlined above was - 9183
"The resistance value in the ignition circuit containing component R12/1 (Driver ETR ignition squib) is too high."
This issue is also referenced here: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/general-mercedes-benz/1549707-seat-belts-need-advice.html

The fuses that I removed instead of disconnecting the battery were:
Engine compartment -drivers side # 45(7.5A) and # 49(also 7.5A)
Cabin A-pillar-drivers side #34(30A), 37(7.5A).
In addition, if you have the seat heaters remove #25
air scarf #23,24

The seat bolts in the floor are ribe/polydrive head, size "E10".The "E" is important! A 12 or 6 point 10mm socket will work but not very well.The torque required for tightening is 50Nm =37lbs/ft or 5kg/m
The bolt head looks like a rounded male Torx .The correct tool is difficult to find: just google KTpro 4106PR or similar. Make sure it contains E10 !
1/2" DR. 6PC. STAR SOCKET RAIL SET | King Tony America
all corrections welcomed.I hope this helps others who follow.

·
Registered
2005 Mercedes SLK 200
1 Posts
I have exactly the same problem as you, but I was wondering if you finally got the situation sorted out?

Did you get around to buying the seat belt pretentionor? who installed it for you or did you do it?

On my car the pretensionor activated and I got exactly the same message as you on the dashboard. So what I did was I got a second hand one from another Slk 200 and got someone to install it but they did such a rubbish job that instead of using the clips underneath the seat to connect it, they cut the wires and united them together so now the SRS light won't go off the dash board.

I will post a picture to see what I mean tomorrow !

1 - 5 of 5 Posts