Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Slk 230
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all, this is my first time posting on here. Seems like a pretty cool community to be a part of.
Well I have been given this 1999 SLK-AMG Sport Package as a pass-me-down from my oldest brother as he just bought a new car for himself.

I drove the car, and it was a mess. Such an uncomfortable ride. The air filter, oil filter, front rotors and brake pads were all old and I just replaced them. There is a bunch of things to do on this baby. The supercharger would shut off at times while driving. I'm assuming it has something to do with the relay. The car shakes/rattles a lot at times when at idle, so i will be fixing that as well. Interior paint was chipped off and a bit dirty from use. The door panels were coming off/loose from its original glue as well. Here are some pics of whats been done so far!

These are the parts i've already painted, I'll post up a picture of the center console. I just finished it

More pics soon.! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2003 SLK230
653 Posts
Yes, a great car and the best colour!
Looks good so far. Please keep us (pictorially) posted.

·
Registered
SLK 230K sport, 99', Silver, 60K miles
75 Posts
An interesting project - please keep us updated and with lots of pictures. Upon completion of a restoration project myself, I wish I had taken pictures at every step!

·
Registered
1999 Slk 230
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Haha, thanks for the motivation guys :D I'm having fun with it!
Well the interior looks flush right now, it looks amazing. Just like new. Here are some before and after pics of the work!

BEFORE

AFTER

Good luck on your restoration.
Don't forget to make your brother feel guilty for neglecting a fine car.
What kind of paint did you use on the interior?
Hahah will do my friend.

·
Registered
1999 Slk 230
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A couple of questions I had. ???

So, In the back of the seats I have a couple of bose speakers/subs. It looked like they were turned around in the back. I'm assuming because they are in some sort of a box. Is that how they are supposed to be?

Also, do you know if this radio/head unit has an auxiliary(3.5mm) located in the back portion of it? (old chipped-paint console picture)

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320(217K Miles), 2002 E320 Special Edition(183K Miles)
3,467 Posts
Yes, the speakers are correct. No, you don't have a 3.5mm (or any plug) on the back of the radio. You can send it in to Becker to have a 3.5 mm plug fitted, or there are adapters to plug into the CD port. In the last case, you will not be able to use the CD player anymore.

·
Registered
1999 Slk 230
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There are several options out there for ipod etc
Bipes Automotive Aux Input for Mercedes
MP3
Mp3YourCar.com - iPod Car Adapters - 1999 Mercedes-Benz SLK
or you can get an aftermarket headunit.
Thanks! Well the reason I ask is because I found out that my cigarette lighter is not working, and I do have an FM transmitter for my Ipod.
So I will be checking the fuse box for it. I will replace it and see if it works, but if that does not solve the issue, I want to check if the connector in the console is not connected.
Sometimes I hesitate when taking the mirror switch out or taking the cig lighter out because I might break a piece of plastic. I've never done it before but it seems like its going to break. Remember its an 11 year old car, the plastic can easily break and I just don't want to risk it. Do you think it'll be fine? Or does anyone have any advice on this?

·
Registered
1999 Slk 230
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Headlights + Tail Lights

Well, the car is finished. It's driving like a champ now.
I wanted to work on cosmetics so I bought these Smoked side markers.

Pics will come soon!

I have to see if someone has a white SLK out there with these halo headlights on, or by any chance if someone has smoked out their tail lights. I bought dark tints from Rvinyl.com and I want to apply it but I just want to get a few opinions though.

Black

or Chrome

Thoughts Appreciated!?! ;)

·
Registered
99 SLK 200 K (M111.943, Eaton M62, 5 Speed Manual) SL55 AMG look, 18'' AMG style 4
130 Posts
Its totally how you feel it, I would prefer chrome. My SLK is silver with chrome ones and its perfect in my eyes.

Heres two pics to decide easier

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
This is exactly what I'm doing right now and pretty similar story. But in my case it is my older brother who neglects the 98 slk230 and it's now just sitting in the garage.

Where did you get the paint from and what kind of glue did you use for the door panel?

Also were you able to clean out the seat with regular leather cleaner or did you paint that as well?

·
Registered
1999 Slk 230
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This is exactly what I'm doing right now and pretty similar story. But in my case it is my older brother who neglects the 98 slk230 and it's now just sitting in the garage.

Where did you get the paint from and what kind of glue did you use for the door panel?

Also were you able to clean out the seat with regular leather cleaner or did you paint that as well?
The glue i used for the door panel was this type of spray i had, ill find it later. I bolted on the door panel though, just in case the glue doesn't stick.

And for the leather seats, i just took them out and cleaned them, scrubbed etc. The leather really wasn't so dirty, and No i did not paint the leather seats. Idk if you can even do that lol :confused:

but here is how it looks now :D A little dirty but yeah I tinted the tail lights.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts