Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey benz guys
i have a 1991 300te from japan (lhd) that has an aftermarket amg bodykit.
it has been lowered and is sitting on 17 inch rims.
the car looks great but i am getting an ulcer from it bottoming out on speed bumps, ramps etc.
anyways, i want to bring it back to it's original height.
question: is this very difficult...springs and shocks only or am i looking at control arms/links and spindles.
i got the bentley e class bible for christmas which is good for kindling in the fire only ( what a waste )
does the haynes manual help in visualizing what needs to be done.
anyways thanks guys

·
Cruise Control
52,233 Posts
This should require just a combination of springs and pads, though depending on how much higher you'd like it, you might be able to accomplish this with just pads. Since it's a wagon, you can also adjust the height in the rear via the self-leveling system (SLS). Measure the distance between the center of the rim and the fender lip, so we can offer more specific assistance regarding with springs to get and such. Also, post some pics if you have 'em

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
300te ride height

This should require just a combination of springs and pads, though depending on how much higher you'd like it, you might be able to accomplish this with just pads. Since it's a wagon, you can also adjust the height in the rear via the self-leveling system (SLS). Measure the distance between the center of the rim and the fender lip, so we can offer more specific assistance regarding with springs to get and such. Also, post some pics if you have 'em

thanks for the reply
is it possible to reference the height of my current aftermarket springs to actual stock heights? is that info out there somewhere.
if i raise the car by adjusting the sls to ride higher does that in any way put a continuous load on it or does the fluid just elevate things and no big deal?
the car is currently buried under snow but i will certainly update soon with pics for the w124 wagon thread.
love this site!
angus

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
well, yours has been lowered, so the measurement will be different.

if i remember, i will try to measure my car, from the wheel center to the fender lip tomorrow, but mine isnt a wagon.

·
Cruise Control
52,233 Posts
The reason I mention the measurement is that we need to know whether by too low, you're talking slammed on the ground, which means someone has cut a bunch of coils out of the springs, or whether the car has more typical H&R or Sportline springs. Since the car has a bodykit and larger rims, I don't think it would look right with a stock height spring in there. My wagon has H&R springs and 17" rims and never bottoms out or scrapes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts