Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
1976 230
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm looking for a shop in the US, perferably the Northeast US, that has experience doing strange things to 123's. My 76 230 is mechanically tired, and my very old school mechanic refuses to do anything but keep fixing it. Since the car is such good shape and I have a bit of sentimental attachment to it, I'm looking to build a sleeper under it. Does anyone know of a shop that's done something like this?

· Registered
1976 230
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What exactly are you looking to do? If you want pm me and I will give you my number.
not sure yet. my first idea was to canabalize a wrecked newer AMG something for the driveline, but my mechanic told me (in a very thick german accent) that i should send the car to NASA and sell a kidney for that. after a little research, he's right. i'm just looking for a new, reliable driveline installed along with the appropriate suspension upgrades. but i'm not looking to reinvent the wheel, so i'm looking for someone thats perhaps done this before.

· Registered
1977 Mercedes 300D
157 Posts
I have been searching for the same. The suspension parts seem to be near impossible to find but they are out there. As far as the driveline you can stick a V8 in them or do what I think I am going to do and use a newer 300E motor out of a W124 I have sitting behind the garage. I will probably shave the handles and trim and we are kicking around the idea of suiciding the doors but I am not gonna make that call until we get the drawings done to see if it might be a lil too much. I also think I am going to go with hydraulics, I built a S10 last year with bags and was not impressed with bags and dont think I will ever use them again unless a customer requests them.

· Registered
1976 230
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have been searching for the same. The suspension parts seem to be near impossible to find but they are out there. As far as the driveline you can stick a V8 in them or do what I think I am going to do and use a newer 300E motor out of a W124 I have sitting behind the garage. I will probably shave the handles and trim and we are kicking around the idea of suiciding the doors but I am not gonna make that call until we get the drawings done to see if it might be a lil too much. I also think I am going to go with hydraulics, I built a S10 last year with bags and was not impressed with bags and dont think I will ever use them again unless a customer requests them.
yikes. thats hard core. i'm just looking to be able to drive mine. if it was diesel id probably go ahead and rebuild the mechanicals, but this engine sucked when it ran. ive got two quotes now, the lower one is for $45K. WTF? i hate to get rid of it since its in such good shape. the interior is like a green hounds tooth timecapsule.

· Registered
money pits of various forms
5,920 Posts
A 500 swap is the way to go IMO. Or a suped up OM606 (my personal preference).

· Registered
1977 Mercedes 300D
157 Posts
Theres always the good old 350/350 Chevy combo im sure you could get it in there. Parts would be a cheap at that point.
I have done a few SBC swaps in Jaguars and Volvos, mainly to have a reliable drivetrain that you can easily get parts for.

As far as 45K to redo yours, that sounds insane. Do you have any pics of your car? I just redid a 48 Chevy pickup and that only cost 26K and had much more time and work into it then I could ever imagine a 123 needing.

· Registered
1976 230
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'd imagine so. Not available in US trim until 1977.

Jeff, those bits and pieces off that M115 may be desirable to many fellow owners, so I wouldn't dump it.

yeah, its a euro version. came over on a "buy a car and tour germany" package back in 76. i know they're rare engine/tranny combos in the US. but i can see why, its by far the slowest car i've ever owned. and i grew up on air cooled vws. taking this thing out on a NJ highway is fairly suicidal experience. if i ever do get someone to hot rod it, i'll offer up the engine and tranny on ebay or something.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.