Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Restaurant Menus Will Include DNA Barcodes to Verify Fish Species | Popular Science

Fish specials at your local restaurant may soon come with an extra guarantee of quality and sustainability, as fishmongers start checking the DNA of their wares. The Food and Drug Administration approved DNA barcoding last month, and restaurants are planning to start using it to prove the provenance of their pricey fish, the AP reports.

DNA barcoding can be used to protect endangered species and guard against sale of illicit ones — from overfished tuna to bushmeat sold on the black market, even to medicinal herbs and plants. It can also guarantee that a restaurant patron is really eating the pricey Beluga caviar he paid for, and not a cheaper substitute.

A DNA barcode works somewhat like it sounds, by using a short sequence of DNA to identify a species using a known database. The Consortium for the Barcode of Life, based at the Smithsonian Institution, has been using the technology in research projects and to prove it works, and now the FDA has approved its use in private industry, too. This week, scientists and industry experts are meeting at the University of Adelaide in Australia for the fourth International Barcode of Life Conference, where the DNA barcode boom will be a hot topic, as Wired UK reports. Researchers will also discuss its use in studying what animals ate, by examining their dung; scanning permafrost to look for ancient creatures and their habitats; and even monitoring water quality, by searching for a bevy of microbes that can be hazardous to human health.

But most people will encounter this new technology during dinnertime, where it can be used to prove an animal’s identity. David Schindel, the group’s executive secretary, told AP the technology is poised to take off in the seafood industry. “We’re going to start seeing a self-regulating movement by the high-end trade, embracing barcoding as a mark of quality,” he said.

The barcode group aims to create a database of 5 million standardized DNA sequences, which could be used to identify 500,000 species, by 2015.

·
Outstanding Contributor Always Remembered RI
52,804 Posts
^Better cooked than the Rhino sir, may I recommend a boiled Ostrich egg? Special today is Kangaroo with rice.

·
52,804 Posts

·
52,804 Posts
Some people in Thailand also believe that eating elephant meat improves their sex lives and elephants are sometimes hunted specifically for this.
You may or may not believe the animals eaten here, but I think you already know about it. I drew the line on rat.

·
52,804 Posts

·
52,804 Posts
This good thread is now in the shit house, oh wait was it a good thread for you?

·
Registered
7,007 Posts
This thread seems as good a place as any for the following link.

Put your food and beverages safely out of reach until you've finished reading it.
LOL, great story

Some years ago I was driving on an interstate and needed to use the bathroom in about as much haste as the gentleman in the story, I pulled off and there was a brand new BP of a type I had only seen in Europe at that time, with a restaurant, an espresso bar, a small store, they are more common now but at that time it was a brand new concept, thus a brand new facility, with brand new facilities, I shot in, rushed to the bathroom, dropped my pants and sat down, feet spread to gain some traction and let fly, as the explosions and flying debris out of my ass quieted down I leaned forward in relief setting off the toilets automatic sensor flush mechanism, which consisted of a high velocity horizontal jet of water at approximately scrotum hanging height causing me to jerk upwards in a paroxysm of agony as this fire hose powered jet tried to rip my nuts off with water pressure sufficient enough to remove paint from the side of a building, eyes watering when the jet stopped I slumped forward in relief from the agonizing pain, which in turn set off the flush mechanism nearly ripping off my nuts yet again jolting me upright in agony, so there I was trapped on that fucking toilet with the "jet of doom" sending me up and down in a horrific cycle of unbearable pain, after about five times I was able to throw myself off the toilet and make my escape, eyes watering and staggering as I emerged from the toilet but at a loss to explain to the management what exactly just had occurred as they were all staring at me as I exited the bathroom, having heard my fucking screams of agony as I was bounced up on down on that toilet like some life sized nut powered Jack-in-the-Box

I'm more careful now about leaning forward on those toilets but I also haven't seen that exact toilet design since, it would have made one hell of a lawsuit

True story BTW

1 - 17 of 17 Posts