Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I stopped by a local muffler shop and was talking to the guy about having the flowmaster filters installed and the resonators removed from the exhaust. He wants $260 to remove the resonators and weld the pipes again. What do you think of the price, and how much different is the sound afterwards?

Kevin

·
Registered
262 Posts
$260 for just the resonator delete and replace with a straight pipe is quite high. I had mine done for about $100(resonator delete/replace with straight pipe)....as for the sound, it depends on the type of muffler you are using(i have BRABUS on mine)- but it is definitely louder a bit but not harsh/annoying at all.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I agree that 260 sounds high, it is probably a 30 minute job for an exhaust shop.

I am wondering if removing the resonators causes any problems with the emissions dash warning lights or anything?

I am also wondering if just removing the resonators will give you any improved exhaust tone?

On an S8 I used to own I changed to a two chamber flowmaster muffler and the sound was really cool but I had issues with the emissions warning light coming on due to the more open exhaust.

911 I assume you had no issues after doing your exhaust and what about other 210 55'ers that have done exhaust work, any problems?

·
Registered
04 E55
28 Posts
I had a local shop build me a complete "cat-back" replacing both the muffler and resonator with a single, dual-in/dual-out, stainless muffler and custom bent pipes. They also re-installed my stock AMG exhaust tips for a factory look. The total bill was $420. The sound is very nice, though after looking at the stock muffler and resonator (both are "straight-through" in design) I'm not sure there's any HP increase.

Edit: Almost forgot!! I haven't had ANY problems with check-engine lights or emmissions equiptment.

·
Registered
262 Posts
E55pvan - 5/4/2005 11:53 AM

I agree that 260 sounds high, it is probably a 30 minute job for an exhaust shop.

I am wondering if removing the resonators causes any problems with the emissions dash warning lights or anything?

I am also wondering if just removing the resonators will give you any improved exhaust tone?

On an S8 I used to own I changed to a two chamber flowmaster muffler and the sound was really cool but I had issues with the emissions warning light coming on due to the more open exhaust.

911 I assume you had no issues after doing your exhaust and what about other 210 55'ers that have done exhaust work, any problems?
I've done this mod twice already. I did it 1st on my 01 BMW M5. I wanted a little more deeper/pronounced note with the OEM(stock) M5 exhaust,i just deleted/replaced the Resonator with a straight pipe and got exactly what i wanted(deep/louder-but NOT annoying,sound is pronounced when the engine is revved above 2500rpms). As for my MB, i bought a BRABUS(made by Remus) exhaust which i know is very silent(almost no exhaust sound change compared with the Stock exhaust.). The BRABUS exhaust with the Resonator deleted sounds perfect for my taste.....This mod will not trigger a MIL/Check Engine Light nor affect your smog ratings since the mod is done AFTER the Cat. converter...Im assuming that the cause of your S8 MIL would be an Exhaust Leak from the welds. When doing the Resonator Delete Mod. make sure of the ff. 1). Use the SAME pipe diameter for an Automatic(2")equipt car, you can use a slightly bigger piping for a Manual Tranny(2.5"). This is putting ino consideration backpressure issues. 2). Make sure that there arent no exhaust leaks on the welds.

·
Registered
W211/W210 Estate /W209/W208
1,970 Posts
spine911 - 5/3/2005 9:44 PM

$260 for just the resonator delete and replace with a straight pipe is quite high. I had mine done for about $100(resonator delete/replace with straight pipe)....as for the sound, it depends on the type of muffler you are using(i have BRABUS on mine)- but it is definitely louder a bit but not harsh/annoying at all.
What Muffler shop did the mod for you? Contact Info?

·
Registered
99 E55
297 Posts
I was charged $50 to remove the res and install in new pipes. Later I replaced the muffler and that was another $200.
Mario

·
Registered
88 Posts
Spine 911,

Is there any reason to replace the stock muffler with a Ramus one when there is no sound differences? I imagine it should look better as I have seen the pictures on some catalog.

So did you do it for look or for a quiet but different tone? If would be nice if you can record the sound and attach it on the post.

·
Registered
W210 E55,E320,C240
160 Posts
Remus makes GREAT quality products. I have had a remus exhaust on my E320 and the sound is perfect. I looked for a Remus exhaust for my W210 E55 but can not find one. There are a lot of exhaust products for the W211 E55 but not many for the W210 E55. Can anyone help with info on where to buy a muffler (Remus, kleeman, etc) for the W210 E55. I can not find a source here in the U.S. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
E 55 AMG T
2 Posts
E55_GT3wheels - 5/26/2005 10:46 PM

Remus makes GREAT quality products. I have had a remus exhaust on my E320 and the sound is perfect. I looked for a Remus exhaust for my W210 E55 but can not find one. There are a lot of exhaust products for the W211 E55 but not many for the W210 E55. Can anyone help with info on where to buy a muffler (Remus, kleeman, etc) for the W210 E55. I can not find a source here in the U.S. Thanks in advance!
Hello!
I dont now if you have supersprint in the states but its a very good manufacturer from Italy. They have everyting for E 55 210 exept cats. So try www.supersprint.com

·
Registered
04 E55
28 Posts
I saw that pic on the UK site, but it's nowhere to be found on the USA site . . . plus it states on the UK site that they are not yet available???

I'm definately interested in them, but am having a hard time tracking down any hard info.

Thanks!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts