Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1999 E430
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone have thier resonator removed with stock muffler still attached...goal is to have a little bit of aggresive sound without hearing too much in cab while driving

·
Registered
1997 Mercedes Benz W210 E320
81 Posts
i recently had the two rear cats removed and replaced with straight pipes. stock muffler still being used was going to post a video but never got to it.

As for sound, definitely more agressive past 2500 RPM... and a screamer past 4000 RPM. But cabin noise levels are not up by much. I like it personally ... makes the car sound a bit more sporty. I noticed a bit of vibration coming through rear passenger footwell... donno if there is a connection or maybe some mountings need changing... no vibrations when driving though.

Not a v8 growl... just 1-6 wail thats equally nice to hear. If I floor it behind someone slow... he moves outta the way now :p

·
Registered
1997 Mercedes Benz W210 E320
81 Posts
Oh sometimes you will have a slight smell of gas coming from the exhuast ... but thats about the only complaint.

I had removed them coz i believed they were blocked up. I think performance increased by a certain margin, but at 115000 miles i think my MAF is dying... time to try to clean it and see how that helps.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
If all you delete is the resonator, you won't notice much difference unless you are on the throttle really hard. There's an x-pipe thread in the 210/AMG forum and even with those big V8s it's not very noticeable.

·
Registered
1999 E430
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
CHECK CODES, i looked at AMG thread..the differance is that they use the AMG stock muffler..w/ my 430 im sure the sound wont be the same as my muffler is not close to what the AMG is..so should i go with x pipe replacement for resonator and take out muffler and replace with straight pipe or x pipe w/ stock muffler? or x pipe with aftermarket muffler? Dont want ricer sound but something classy with a growl

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
CHECK CODES, i looked at AMG thread..the differance is that they use the AMG stock muffler..w/ my 430 im sure the sound wont be the same as my muffler is not close to what the AMG is..so should i go with x pipe replacement for resonator and take out muffler and replace with straight pipe or x pipe w/ stock muffler? or x pipe with aftermarket muffler? Dont want ricer sound but something classy with a growl
You can always do it in stages, do the X-pipe/resonator delete, and if you don't get enough growl, you can then shop mufflers. In any event I would not just remove the muffler, though, you'll get lots of noise as well as some of that lovely "BLAT" effect.

·
Registered
2001 E55 AMG
3,294 Posts
You should remove the two rear cats and put the x-pipe in their place, then loose the resonator and straight pipe (with bends) from x-pipe to back box( muffler).
You will be pleased with the sound but if not then you can try a different muffler last of all.

·
Registered
1999 E430
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
deleted resonator left on stock muffler...absolutly NO DIFFERANCE in sound AT ALL...quess im going to have to get stock muffler cut and bolt on a remus...cutting out cat's scares me for some no good reason

·
Registered
1994 E320 wagon, 1999 E320 wagon, BMW Z3
98 Posts
I had a bad rear cat on my wife's 99 E320 wagon so I had both of them removed and straight piped. No error codes because they are behind the sensor and only a very slight increase in exhaust noise.

·
Registered
1999 E430
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Universal exhaust is about $400-$500 US. You can get Remus anywhere. youtube has a e320 with remus video, sounds really good

1 - 15 of 15 Posts