Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2002 SLK32
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girlfriend has a '98 C43 (I wonder who gave her that idea) and I have been considering an exhaust modification to it. I came across a thread on club202.com where some people not only removed the resonator but removed the rear cats as well. They also passed a California emissions test. I don't recall anyone here with all the resonstor removal discussion suggest also removing the rear cats.

Are the rear cats really involved in emissions reduction? If they are they should have sensors but I don't think they do. Anyway, I thought the thread would be an interesting read and applicable here.

http://www.club202.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3633&highlight=exhaust+C43

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
The resonator removal is a good mod. As far as removing the cats let me start by saying it is illegal and can result in serious fines. I did not follow the link but here in Atlanta many places perform a visual inspection during emissions testing.

That being said there have been some discussions about the removal of the pre-cats (the cats closest to the engine). Not knowing how efficient the stock cats are it is just a SWAG as to the gains that can be found. I would guess 10-15hp but no one on the board has had the cats removed. Or at least does not admit to it.

·
Registered
2002 SLK32
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If the car passes emissions and still has a pair of cats, why is it illegal?

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
RE: If the car passes emissions and still has a pair of cats, why is it illegal?

According to federal law you are not allowed to mess with emissions controls. The feds take that shit seriously. But for some reason don't worry too much about the bus putting out clouds of black soot.

The extra cats really come into play with cold starts. They help clean the exhaust up. This is an issue that would not show up in your emissions testing as the car is already warmed up.

·
Registered
2006 SLK-55 AMG
737 Posts
RE: If the car passes emissions and still has a pair of cats, why is it illegal?

430 - 3/4/2005 11:07 PM

According to federal law you are not allowed to mess with emissions controls. The feds take that shit seriously. But for some reason don't worry too much about the bus putting out clouds of black soot.
Everything about emissions is politics, money, and power. Truckers unions making campaign contributions to exclude themselves from regulation. Car companies getting SUVs called "trucks" and thus falling into different emissions catagories and out of CAFE mileage figures. "Mendacity", in its purist form. Can't have 10 Lamborghinis driven 5000 miles per year without squeaky clean exhausts, but 500,000 diesel trucks & busses spewing carcinogins and soot and being driven 150,000 miles per year is Okey Dokey. Money talks when handed to corrupt politicians.

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts

YellowSLK230 - 3/5/2005 11:55 AM

Everything about emissions is politics, money, and power. Truckers unions making campaign contributions to exclude themselves from regulation. Car companies getting SUVs called "trucks" and thus falling into different emissions catagories and out of CAFE mileage figures. "Mendacity", in its purist form. Can't have 10 Lamborghinis driven 5000 miles per year without squeaky clean exhausts, but 500,000 diesel trucks & busses spewing carcinogins and soot and being driven 150,000 miles per year is Okey Dokey. Money talks when handed to corrupt politicians.
It is not just the politicians that are corrupt within this process. There are number of organizations on the other side that are just as corrupt.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts