Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all;
First post, love the forum and have learned a ton as I resurrect my ‘92 400e M119.975, 124,500K miles.

Purchased it a month ago and when received/driven off the transport truck it had a loud clunking sound consistent with rpm’s. So I dug in on the top end to see if I could resolve with some standard items:
  • pulled the fuel injectors and had them ultrasonic cleaned, new o rings, flow rates all within spec, reinstalled.
  • new plugs, wires, distributors and rotors
  • replaced air filters
  • new upper vacuum hoses (all the stuff criss crossing top of the the intake manifold)
  • in between fuel injector servicing i snaked the video scope (cheapo but effective harbor freight model) into the injector ports to check valve condition, everything looked very clean, no surprises.
So here’s the kicker, when I drained the oil, it had 15.5 quarts in it! Yes you read that right, 15.5, almost double the 8.5 capacity. Oil was pretty clean when drained by the way. My hope is that the car had very little time running in that condition but I’ll never know. I refilled with Mobil 1 5w30, 8.5 qts.

So after all of the above, I started it up today and the clunking sound is gone (nice) but I now have consistent blue smoke from the exhaust. I’m not sure if there was blue exhaust smoke previous to all the above work, as the only other time I might have seen it was when I drove it 100ft from the transport truck to my garage in hopes of minimizing any catastrophic issue signaled by the clunking sound. I let it run today for about 5 minutes at idle with a few light revs to see how the motor would respond; pretty smooth, a slight jiggle but not bad for having sat for a month. Oil pressure held at 3 on oil gauge consistently. So my question is; could the overfill situation cause this consistent blue smoke in the exhaust, and was 5 minutes enough to burn off residual oil? I won’t be able to do a leak down and compression test anytime soon unfortunately.

Thanks in advance.
Hans

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Hans,
That's a scary situation you have described. First off, have you/are you in the position to make a claim against the previous owner/seller? If this was a car you purchased you should be letting them know you have this problem and expect them to help resolve it or take the car back.

Having said that, the engine had an incredible amount of oil in it; so much so that it is hard to believe there wasn't oil being pushed up the cylinder walls and past the rings. When you pulled out the plugs, did they look oil fouled? Do they look oil fouled now? I'd like to think that with some running, the oil smoke will dissipate but that is just hoping for the best case scenario. The potential good news is that if the oil was clean when you removed it, then the engine probably hadn't been run too long in this condition. There is no clear answer to your situation so I am sure we will hear other opinions.

·
Registered
981 Posts
After this overfill of engine oil all the seals have blown reading about the quantity put in there .A friend of mine did exactly the same on his engine . He was one that did his own oil changes because it was the only thing he knew about how to do on his car .Well the oil was Castrol GTX had a promotion on with 25% extra oil in the container .He knew it took 1 container to fill his engine to the right level . But with the tin holding an extra 25% he was way over the line on his stick . So half way to his fishing trip 5 miles out the car stopped. Tow truck picked him and the car up . This overfill cost him a brand new engine the car was only 3 years old with 4000 on the clock .Along with new engine he had to have new radiator and clutch plates replaced due to oil contamination . Hope you get a quick fix .

·
Registered
16,759 Posts
Wait a minute. You mean to tell me that the term "refill with oil" does not mean refill until the oil is visible through the filler cap.

This is news to me.

Just kidding, but I did know somebody who did exactly that. It was his first time doing a oil change on a car (his only experience was changing the oil on his lawnmower).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wait a minute. You mean to tell me that the term "refill with oil" does not mean refill until the oil is visible through the filler cap.

This is news to me.

Just kidding, but I did know somebody who did exactly that. It was his first time doing a oil change on a car (his only experience was changing the oil on his lawnmower).
Tuttebenne; to your question about fouled plugs, all 8 plugs looked ok. The tips were carbon black, no gunk or shiny residue on any of them and this condition/appearance was uniform across all of the plugs. I’ll pull the new ones and see what condition they are in after the above mentioned 5 minute idle plus a few revs. Btw, no oil residue in the coolant, no oil leaks in/around the engine that I have been able to find (no drips on garage floor) so I’m hoping this is a good sign.

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
I wonder if it had hard valve seals the whole time. That would be a simple(er) fix and pose no driveability issues. Other than choking out the guy behind you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Based on the symptoms I have noticed thus far, I agree that is is very likely hardened and leaking valve seals. A new set of valve seals and cover gaskets are on order. Question for the group, what is the recommended spring compression tool for the M119? I have researched and seen everything from the harbor freight version to the MB specific tool for upwards of $80. Thanks in advance for thoughts and opinions on this.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the tool recommendation. Especially as I plan to do the valve seal R&R with the heads on the car. Suggestions on where to buy?

·
Registered
16,759 Posts
Sir Tools makes a M199 valve spring compressor tool set.

Google should lead you in the right direction

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks sbaert; I was having trouble determining the brand name. I’ll be ordering it later today.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Unless I missed something we have a 124k mile M119 that blows blue smoke. They don't do that normally and normally means they don't have valve seal issues. Your engine was overfilled by approx 7 quarts so let's not forget that. Have you pulled the plugs again since blowing the blue smoke? Post some photos. I wouldn't be buying a valve spring compressor just yet but that's just me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts