Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 SL500 with the AMG accessory package. It is now ready for Service "B" Maintenance so I get that message everytime I turn the ignition on and it is annoying so I would like to reset it.

In doing research on how it is reset I've came across five different ways to do it. Two ways were from forums, the third way came from STAR TekInfo (http://www.startekinfo.com/StarTek/outside/9521/?requestedDocId=9521), the fourth way came from a shop manual I just installed, and the fifth came from a link in a forum to a copy of the Mercedes-Benz Reset Serice Indicator Guide (http://www.startekinfo.com/StarTek/outside/10502/?requestedDocId=10502), which would seem to be the best resource. All five methods were different and didn't work and I know that when I tried them repeatedly I did do them correctly.

So my question is; does anyone know how to reset the service indicator?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
385 Posts
As per 2003 Owner's manual:
Ignition on
Arrow buttons until service symbol (wrench) appears on display.
Press reset knob for about 4 seconds.
See "do you want to reset..." message, hold down reset button again until you hear signal.
Done

·
Registered
385 Posts
2003 to 2007 use that procedure.
2008 and up use a slightly different one.
MBworld has a post in the W203 section that has the MB guide as of 3/2009

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I forgot about this thread because I got rid of the service message. However, Pleeson had it right. I tried it several times and it didn't work, but when you turn the key to the two positon and the service message comes up so you need to use the arrow button to bring it up again. Then it works.

Here's the notes I've written so I won't forget how to do it next year.

Resetting the Service Indicator

1. Turn key to number two position
2. You will see the service message
3. Use the arrow key to cycle to the service message again
4. Hold down reset button until a message asks if you want to reset the service indicator
5. Let off the reset button when that message appears and then hold it down again until you get a message saying the reset has been done
6. Once message appears let off the reset button and then push it again and you will get a message telling you when the next service is due
7. Turn off key

·
Registered
1 Posts
Resetting service indicator SL500

Yes, this procedure worked on my 2008 SL500. The system acted as if the overdue service B had been done and showed the next service as a Service A in 9,300 miles.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Resetting the Service Indicator

1. Turn key to number two position
2. You will see the service message
3. Use the arrow key to cycle to the service message again
4. Hold down reset button until a message asks if you want to reset the service indicator
5. Let off the reset button when that message appears and then hold it down again until you get a message saying the reset has been done
6. Once message appears let off the reset button and then push it again and you will get a message telling you when the next service is due
7. Turn off key
I tried this, and several other methods, none worked for me on my 2008 SL550. When I push and hold the reset button, the black 'stick' in between the gauges that controls the dimming of the dash lights, the display goes back to the mileage screen.
Any ideas?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Am I pushing the correct button???

I just tried the reset procedure on my 2004 SL 500. It did not work! I was using the reset button between the tach and the speedo. Do you mean the workshop call button in the console? I need to reset the SOS, Service B, and Brake warning. I assume Position #2 is the all on just before the start position.
I need a little help!
Thanks,:frown Dan

·
Registered
46 Posts
Progress, some anyway

I was able to reset the B service message when I used the procedure posted by Pleeson in post #2 . I got a wait message and then finally a question to reset. I had 2 wrenches in my left display. I now have a 10,000 mile service A message and only one wrench! :smile
I still need help with the Brake Message and a way to get the SOS message off and the overhead lite out.

·
10,293 Posts
I was able to reset the B service message when I used the procedure posted by Pleeson in post #2 . I got a wait message and then finally a question to reset. I had 2 wrenches in my left display. I now have a 10,000 mile service A message and only one wrench! :smile
I still need help with the Brake Message and a way to get the SOS message off and the overhead lite out.

SOS message needs dealer or Mercedes SDS scanner to disable the system completely, or activate it with new service.

Brake message needs immediate attention, as SBC pump/module has likely reached end of life, and in need for replacement.

You can step on the brake at any time now, and you will have no boost, happened to me, not fun at all...

Dealer sells replacement units, and they probably have one in stock, and they are prices okay (less than $1000 with installation) considering the amount of technology that goes in it.

Mercedes extended the warranty on these units up to 10 years unlimited miles, however, although your car is out of warranty at this point, but my experience with this issue is dealers tend to be sympathetic, and they often offer deep discounts on labor...

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
18,703 Posts
Since you have a MY2004, the TeleAid system is the older, obsolete analog cellular transceiver, so it can't be activated. I'd pay te dealer an hour of labor to have them disable TeleAid. The error is likely a failed component (often an antenna) and won;t go away until it's clear or the system is disabled.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Always a warning!

When I did the Powerstop conversion to the front brakes I found the pad sensor touching the disk. (Even though the pads were only 1/2 worn down.) The Powerstop kit came with two new sensors but the 2004 SL500 only has one sensor on the right side front and rear. I guess they figure the gutter side wears faster than the drivers side. I have been blaming the Brake light on the old pad sensor that did it's job! I hope that is all it is.
I wonder if the SOS TeleAid system has a dedicated fuse I could just pull? It might get rid of the overhead lite and the SOS messages.

Thanks, Dan

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
18,703 Posts
Sorry, there is no simple fuse for TeleAid - it's integrated into many of the car's systems, so each one has to be coded to deactivate it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
7 Participants
danmckeeman
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing