Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1995 SL 320, 2008 CLK 350
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've studied several posts on this matter but I am getting nowhere in resetting.

When turning key to position 1, mileage and temp are already displayed , so all I should need to do next is to press the illumination button 3 times, resulting in the battery voltage to be displayed in addition to hearing a signal.
Nothing like this happens and so I can go no further.
I go around trying all sorts of ways and settings.......nada.
My hope is that there is some reader who can advise me as to how to proceed. It is obvious to me that there must be a different procedure to follow from what I can glean from the various posts.

Thanks for any and all help, Jack Ullrich

·
Registered
2008 CLK550 Cab
402 Posts
I have an '08 550, so I assume the method is the same as yours. I printed out and followed the procedure in the sticky at the top of this forum that begins "My dealer continue refused.."

Well, I sort of followed it. Like you, I soon discovered that what the screen was supposed to say at a certain step it did not say. I have concluded that MB changes some of the sofware often enough that the exact steps are unique to only one or two model years. However, the bottom line is that it worked. It has been two or more months since i did it and I can no longer recall what exactly the screen said when I reset it. I know it never aksed me if I actually wanted to reset it. Seems like the screen had a message something to do with the oil if I recall correctly. I was just sort of surprised that it was suddenly reset.

So I would suggest you try and duplicate what I did. Print the post at the top, follow it as closely as your car will allow and see if you can get it reset. If you fail let me know and I'll try and duplicate it on my car again.

EDIT: From reading your post again, I see you are not even getting to the service menu. Are you pushing the reset button within three seconds of turning your key to position 1? If you wait longer it won't work. The three presses should be deliberate but brief. Don't hold the button in at all, but not as fast as you can either. And I assume what you are pressing is the thing you press to reset your trip odmeter - the skinny black stalk to the left of your clock. If you are doing these three things right, and cannot get to the menu, I'm stumped.

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550 FORMER: C300, ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
24,974 Posts
Also make sure the door is closed. On some vehicles, an open door can "confuse" the system and not allow you to reach the proper menu.

·
Registered
1995 SL 320, 2008 CLK 350
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your efforts, Yidney. Your reply was highly appreciated !!
I finally found out what to do:

1) Key turned to 2nd position.
2) Arrow up/down to Service A/B.
3) Press and hold button for 3 seconds
4)After confirm, again press and hold 3 seconds.
Voila, success!!

Still will have to do the A service, but will wait a while since only 5,500 miles have passed since last oil change 10 months ago. To change expensive synthetic oil so soon seems to me a waste, eps. since the alternative criterion is 13,000 miles, or every year, which tells me that the oil is designed to last, at a minimum, at least that long.
Again, thanks for your input. Best, Jack

·
Registered
2007 CLK350 Cabriolet
134 Posts
Thanks for your efforts, Yidney. Your reply was highly appreciated !!
I finally found out what to do:

1) Key turned to 2nd position.
2) Arrow up/down to Service A/B.
3) Press and hold button for 3 seconds
4)After confirm, again press and hold 3 seconds.
Voila, success!
this is what worked for my 2007 CLK350 as well...I would add that you press and hold the trip button for 3 seconds (it should beep)

Thanks guys,

Bill

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.