Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
98 ML320, 05 ML350
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Why is it so hard to reset the FSS?
I follow these instructions letter by letter (same as in my manual).
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/3351435-post17.html
It doesn't work most of the times, but after fiddling with it long enough, I eventually get it to reset.
Last time (a couple of years ago), I tried many slight variations and got it to reset. My observation was that the manual was missing some information (and I wrote that in the manual so I don't have to rediscover them).
a) close the doors
b) don't need to start engine while holding down button 2. Just take it to position 2.

However, this time around, even with those modifications it's not working.
I noticed that the instructions for getting the oil level reading from the FSS (which has similar steps to the reset) specifically say that the engine must be in "normal operating temperature" and that it has to have been sitting there for 5 minutes undisturbed before the procedure.

Does anybody know exactly how to do this voodoo science?

·
Registered
11,243 Posts
Step 2, pressing the button twice after turning the key - you have to be real quick with that and make sure the button is firmly pressed each time to make sure it goes through.

·
Registered
1999 ML320 Elegance, BMW R1150RT, SAAB 9-3
282 Posts
it took me about 6 tries when i did it about a month ago. i only do it about every 14-16 months so not enough to remember.
i seem to recall it was a matter of *** following the instructions exactly *** and making sure you figure out what is position 1,2,3 etc
engine off, engine cold is fine. i think my door was open too...
so just keep trying. dont give up till you have done it 10 times. :^)

·
Registered
98 ML320, 05 ML350
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Step 2, pressing the button twice after turning the key - you have to be real quick with that and make sure the button is firmly pressed each time to make sure it goes through.
Step 2 is just to display the current status. I'm positive what I do is understood by the FSS, as the status is displayed.

I think all the action is in step 4. I hold that button down so hard that my finger hurts. 10 seconds seems like an eternity when you're in pain.

Any other tips?

·
Registered
98 ML320, 05 ML350
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it took me about 6 tries when i did it about a month ago. i only do it about every 14-16 months so not enough to remember.
i seem to recall it was a matter of *** following the instructions exactly *** and making sure you figure out what is position 1,2,3 etc
engine off, engine cold is fine. i think my door was open too...
so just keep trying. dont give up till you have done it 10 times. :^)
That's exactly what I have been doing for years. Eventually I get it. But can't tell for sure what made it work, since I tried so many different ways.

·
Registered
2002 ML55 AMG, 2005 Chrysler Crossfire Coupe Limited, 1999 C280
4,714 Posts
The trick to this is as alluded to in asianml's post above:

You must do the entire procedure in a SINGLE, QUICK and SEAMLESS action.

i.e.

Don't try to execute the procedure whilst pausing to read each next step in the manual.

I found it helpful to memorise the steps from the manual before proceeding.

Good luck!

·
Registered
98 ML320, 05 ML350
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
The trick to this is as alluded to in asianml's post above:

You must do the entire procedure in a SINGLE, QUICK and SEAMLESS action.

i.e.

Don't try to execute the procedure whilst pausing to read each next step in the manual.

I found it helpful to memorise the steps from the manual before proceeding.

Good luck!
I am familiar with the steps by heart, after more than 20 tries, over 2 days.
It plain does not work.
Something else is missing.
I'd like to see someone claim that he can make the procedure work on first try. That would tell me there's something wrong with my car...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have never had a problem resetting fss. If you are doing quickly enough, and in the right order and all doors and hood are closed, it will work. Unless there is a problem with a door hood switch, or door switch which we all know the ML has many issues with.

·
Registered
2000 ML430, 2000 C280
920 Posts
I just reset my FSS today, but it took a few tries. I wasn't able to do it the last time I tried it, so don't give up. You have to be real quick with the procedure. and I think you have to press the button (in the last step) before turing the key.

DelJ

I am familiar with the steps by heart, after more than 20 tries, over 2 days.
It plain does not work.
Something else is missing.
I'd like to see someone claim that he can make the procedure work on first try. That would tell me there's something wrong with my car...

·
Registered
1990 190E 2.6,.... 1998 ML320, 2005 ML500SE
3,103 Posts
I can't remember taking more than one time for either of my ML's.
Both resetting FSS and checking the oil level.
The only time checking the oil did not work was when I didn't wait ling enough for the oil to drain back into the crankcase.
I do as FAR888 and asianml suggest. I use positive pressure but not excessive pressure on the button.
Mike

·
Registered
2000 ML430, 2000 C280
920 Posts
I think it is harder to do if one is already showing negative number as it flashes by itself every time one turns the key.

DelJ

I can't remember taking more than one time for either of my ML's.
Both resetting FSS and checking the oil level.
The only time checking the oil did not work was when I didn't wait ling enough for the oil to drain back into the crankcase.
I do as FAR888 and asianml suggest. I use positive pressure but not excessive pressure on the button.
Mike

1 - 11 of 11 Posts