Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2004 C320 Sport
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I just purchased a 2004 C320 Sport Sedan, and it appears that the trip reset button doesn't work. If I have it on the trip screen, and held the button for varying amounts of time without effect. I've tried it in other screens without effect there either.

I tried doing a search on this topic, but was only coming up with results for using the button, not problems with the button.

Is there a trick that I'm missing? Does anyone know if this part replaceable or where to get it?

Thanks!
James

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
18,991 Posts
There's no trick. Unfortunately, the button has probably failed, and it's not an easy or inexpensive fix. The instrument cluster uses Mylar ribbon cable to connect the various circuits inside. Heat and vibration can cause the glue attaching the cable to the circuit board to come loose. The reset button conductors are on the outer edge of the Mylar, so if it starts peeling from the end, they are the first to go.

The official repair is to replace the entire cluster, and that must be a dealer service and will cost around $2K. The other alternative is to take the cluster to someone who can repair Mylar circuitry. If you want an idea of what you're dealing with, look here:

W203 Cluster Disassembly

·
Registered
37 Posts
i have one better than this i have a 2006 c230 sport i just purchased 3 weeks ago and did a a service and found the button missing mine works but someone removed the button i have to remove the bezel around the cluster use a writing pen that has a flat one side to hold the button metal stem in till the maintenance has been reset and hard to do better than paying a lot of money to replace the cluster

·
Registered
37 Posts
but getting back to your issue you can repair the if it is a issue with the ribbon cable you can purchase a new ribbon cable i believe there are white plastic lock tabs that hold the ribbon cable to the plug-in on the board this could also be a board failure for the reset and does it work to brighten the lights for the cluster unfortunate if the switch is bad you cannot replace it you would have to send it in to have it repaired and for that alone is about $175.00 you can replace it with a used on for about under $50.00 but it may have the same issue a guaranteed used 1 is about 185.00

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
18,991 Posts
i have one better than this i have a 2006 c230 sport i just purchased 3 weeks ago and did a a service and found the button missing mine works but someone removed the button i have to remove the bezel around the cluster use a writing pen that has a flat one side to hold the button metal stem in till the maintenance has been reset and hard to do better than paying a lot of money to replace the cluster
Why not just buy a cheap used cluster on eBay and scavenge its stalk?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts