Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Mercedes S550 2008 Mercedes x164, 2007 Mercedes w164, 2001 Mercedes W210 E55 AMG
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it seems that I might have an issue that some might be able to help me with. I checked the windshield Reservoir and its filled. I believe I have a leak coming from the grommet under it where the pump goes but really can't confirm that as it doesn't stop snowing in new jersey to really take it apart and verify this. Anyway onto to my 2 problems with the headlamp washer nozzles and windshield Reservoir pump. The first problem is that when I activate the headlamp washer nozzle it seems like the brand new Headlight Headlamp Washer Nozzle leak all over the place. I bought an aftermarket pair on ebay and they are garbage. They leak all over the place from different areas when in use which I verified. I am thinking of buying the oem ones considering that a lot of the aftermarket ones on ebay seem to be sub-par. Anyone here have lucky with aftermarket Headlight Headlamp Washers? I need both left/right sides. Onto to my second issue which has to do with my windshield reservoir which seems to have an issue. I noticed that when I try to clean my windshield the sprayers don't shoot out cleaner. In fact I don't hear anything at all. I am guessing that it's the reservoir pump but I want to know first if there is a fuse to this pump which is under the windshield reservoir. If there is no fuse then I am would think that it's the pump itself. How do I test the pump itself?

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,874 Posts
I have only used OEM replacements (and that was on a W220) - they worked out well.

You are correct that the windshield washer and headlamp washer have separate pumps. Unfortunately, after consulting the fuse diagram in our DIY and FAQs, as well as the one HERE, I cannot find a fuse or a relay for either. And worse, while you can get to the connector for one of the pumps simply enough, the other one will likely require removal of the reservoir (which also means disconnecting the heater element for the fluid). Unfortunately I read that if there is a problem with the signal from the SAM to the pump, the pump might run fine on a bench test, but not when you put it back. In addition, the control column stalk could be bad. I don't know how to test each, but I'd start with the pump.

Unhampered by facts or familiarity with the system, I'll try (this is what I would attempt if I had this problem). First, check which of the two pumps, by position on the reservoir, is working. Hopefully, the headlamp washer is the one that you cannot get to without removing the reservoir. If so, remove the plug at the top of the remaining pump - the one you can get to, hopefully, the windshield washer pump. Apply 12v to the contacts on the pump, and see if it turns. If it turns but no fluid comes out, there is either a disconnect or a blockage in the water distribution from the pump. You might also test the leads in the connector with a volt meter, asking someone to activate the WSW controls. If you get the proper voltage, then the WSW controls on the stalk and the SAM are OK. If you don't, I do not know how to tell you if it is the WSW control switch or the SAM.

Obviously, if the pump won't turn with 12v applied directly, it is likely bad.

I hope someone more familiar with the system than I am can help.

·
Registered
1997 C280
131 Posts
I bought aftermarket headlamp washers from Amazon and had no problems. See:https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071HM178T/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BT1YPYC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For those who are not aware, if you are wondering how come your headlamp washers work and other times it does not, both the headlight and the wiper switch must be on. Then press in the stalk button to activate the headlamp washers. If your wiper switch is off, pressing in the stalk button will activate the windshield washers only.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,874 Posts
And in some of the later MYs of the W221, the headlamp washers squirt every 5th time you use the windshield washers. That is the only method to activate them normally. I know the MY 2009 and the facelift versions, 2010 through 2013, work that way. '07 and '08 have the button next to the headlamp switch, and at least the '08 will wash headlamps if the windshield washer is used 15 times.

·
Registered
1997 C280
131 Posts
And in some of the later MYs of the W221, the headlamp washers squirt every 5th time you use the windshield washers. That is the only method to activate them normally. I know the MY 2009 and the facelift versions, 2010 through 2013, work that way. '07 and '08 have the button next to the headlamp switch, and at least the '08 will wash headlamps if the windshield washer is used 15 times.
I have an '08 and I do not have the headlamp washer switch next to the light switch. On mine I have to push in the wiper stalk when the wiper and headlights are on. Not sure about the every 5th on mine as it does not seem to be the case.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,874 Posts
If your '08 had transitioned to the configuration in the later models (it may have, since you don't have the dashboard button), it may still wash the headlamps every 15th use of the windshield washer. That wasn't a typo. It came from the '08 owner's manual.

Later models wash headlamps every 5th use of the ww.

·
Outstanding Contributor
2010 E350 P1/P2, 2008 S550 Designo, 2002 ML320
1,808 Posts
If your '08 had transitioned to the configuration in the later models (it may have, since you don't have the dashboard button), it may still wash the headlamps every 15th use of the windshield washer. That wasn't a typo. It came from the '08 owner's manual.

Later models wash headlamps every 5th use of the ww.
Also of note ... if your headlamp washers are leaking they will not even open the little doors in the bumper, just leak down in the belly pans AND if your headlamp washer pump is kaput, you'll never get any washing from it and no error. Just dry, nasty headlights!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts