Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2004 ML 350 w163
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys, just finished the papers to rescue a w220 S500 2005 with 136k kms only, but abandoned for several moths in an auction site. no battery, lot of external damages in paint and bumpers, but we connected/bridged a battery and starts immediatly, smooth running so far.
my first concern is about airmatic of course, rear was low but not dropped, front was ok. I try to check the buttons in central panel but both buttons were with all red lights on. left button was with the only red light ok and the right button was with both red lights on.
both buttons do not react or seems to operate if pressed, lights were on no matter what...seems locked somehow.

I cant assure anything based in restarting a this wonder with a bridge battery for 15 minutes...but, airmatic is dead? in trouble? due to dead battery? some code to clean first?
love to get some pointers here if possible.
Fist experience with sedans, I own 3 MLs 2002,2004,2006.....so I know very the definition of trouble! :D:D:D:D:D

thanks in advance, fellow members

·
Registered
2000 S430, 2003 S430, 2003 S600 TT, and 2005 E320 CDI
4,341 Posts
Good on you for rescuing this car. When you're done getting it into a state of "good repair", you will have a wonderful automobile.

If you don't already have one, I would strongly suggest also acquiring a STAR Diagnostic System setup. This is the same diagnostic tool that the Mercedes-Benz dealers themselves use, and it's the only thing that will touch everything on these cars. This is what you will need to properly diagnose things like the AIRmatic system. A complete system can be had for US $600. It will also be good for your MLs.

·
Registered
Too many to list
8,569 Posts
First you need to hookup a good correct battery to the car , clear all the codes and see what errors come back. The airmatic May be fine or may have a problem but first you need to hook up a proper battery

·
W220 Moderator
S500 W220 SLK320 R170 C200 CDI W203 Peugeot Expert Van
5,863 Posts
Hi,

I second all of the above advice having done my own resurrection plus various upgrades on a 34k mile non runner S500 I bought a way back

SDS is a MUST HAVE, it is as necessary as Spanners and Screwdrivers !!

GOOD BRAND New Battery is also a must have .................

And then I found that the Car took a fair while for things like Airmatic to start to work ................

For example, after Battery Disconnect you will get ABS / ESP lights on Dash ........... With Engine running turn Steering full lock to full lock a couple of times and these should go out, then you may find Airmatic will work after a while, if not leave it running for an hour, keep an eye on Engine Temp (in case Fan is u/s) ...............

You may well find it will rise then ;)

Don't keep hooking up Power and then off again, i.e. Jump Starts or Battery Disconnects, these Cars really don't like that, if you can't get to run it for a few days, hook it up to Battery Maintainer / Charger unit ;)

HTH,

·
Registered
2005 CLK320
420 Posts
Good on you for rescuing this car. When you're done getting it into a state of "good repair", you will have a wonderful automobile.

If you don't already have one, I would strongly suggest also acquiring a STAR Diagnostic System setup. This is the same diagnostic tool that the Mercedes-Benz dealers themselves use, and it's the only thing that will touch everything on these cars. This is what you will need to properly diagnose things like the AIRmatic system. A complete system can be had for US $600. It will also be good for your MLs.
I agree with the above carful with the jumper cables get a good battery.
Considering that it's a 2005 you can use sds with a passthru device will save you about 50%.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2005 S600
480 Posts
Concur with Dave.

Let me add my own experience - left the S600 under the car cover for what I thought was a couple weeks (closer to 6) and the battery dying was a pain to rectify. Ended up with a new battery.

The $45 that this costs is very, very worth it: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00068XCQU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Now, even if it's a few days, the S600 goes on the charger.

And I would rather give up my metric sockets than give up my SDS. That system is more important to maintaining this car than my tools.

·
Registered
2004 ML 350 w163
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks guys for your insights and recomendations. Jumper was for that emergency only, car is on its way to my mech with SDS and new battery as step 1.
My goal is to be set for full basic operation in Indie shop of my trust and all the finishing and detailing will be on me, but make sense a pro can do initial testings, levels, regulations and scanning to back to regular and daily use.
all the above if no big issue jumps after that.
will tell you more next week after shop finish this initial task....:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

·
Registered
2004 ML 350 w163
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
stupid questions I couldnt find with VIN search....how can I know its long base or not? in VIN decoding state its "saloon", thats same as lobg base?
How can I know if 4matic or not?

·
Registered
W163 ML320, W220 S500, R230 SL600TT, R170 SLK230, W140 S500, More
627 Posts
I believe 4Matic is going to have a front differential and a rear differential, and a transfer case in the middle. Both differentials use a 75W-90 or 75W-140 gear oil, and transfer case uses a transmission fluid. Easy to change fluids in all three and about ten bucks each if you do it yourself. Cars without 4Matic will not have a front differential. If you google "Mercedes VIN decoder" it will pop with two different ones you can use to get vehicle build info.

·
W220 Moderator
5,863 Posts
car is on its way to my mech with SDS and new battery as step 1.
My goal is to be set for full basic operation in Indie shop of my trust
Hi,

Kudos to you :)

That's a good plan especially on a Car as complex as this, even good regular DIY and Mechanics often gets stumped with some problems on W220 .............

Re commissioning one does not have to cost a fortune, if you have SDS and know what you are doing !!
Buuuuuuut ...........
If you are not familiar you can end up buying expensive parts it doesn't need, create more problems along the way and end up costing mega bucks or becoming disillusioned.

OK, remember as a Garage Owner / Professional I don't have to pay the Labour, but mine was back on the Road all MOT'd and Tested for just a few hundred £££, with my determination and the help of a few really clever guys on this Forum ..............

It was after I'd driven it a bit that I fell in love with it, went mad and decided to spend a few grand ££££ bringing it up to Mint with some very tasty upgrades etc etc 👿

Keep us posted on the progress, I'm looking forward to this one :D

HTH

·
Registered
2005 S600
480 Posts
You should not need the Star diagnostic to diagnose problems. The "icarsoft" MBII unit for about $260 should do fine on all MB's.

Icarsoft gets about 10% of the codes and diagnosis right. For simple stuff, perhaps, it's OK.

Otherwise, that's $260 you could've spent on half of a STAR/DAS system, which will cost about $500.

·
W220 Moderator
5,863 Posts
Icarsoft gets about 10% of the codes and diagnosis right. For simple stuff, perhaps, it's OK.

Otherwise, that's $260 you could've spent on half of a STAR/DAS system, which will cost about $500.
Absolutely 100% correct ..................

Yet another "cheap out merchant" that comes on here as a noob and spouts rubbish under the guise that they are merely being frugal, with that as a first post I'll not be bothering to explain :(

·
Registered
2004 ML 350 w163
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi,

Kudos to you :)

That's a good plan especially on a Car as complex as this, even good regular DIY and Mechanics often gets stumped with some problems on W220 .............

Re commissioning one does not have to cost a fortune, if you have SDS and know what you are doing !!
Buuuuuuut ...........
If you are not familiar you can end up buying expensive parts it doesn't need, create more problems along the way and end up costing mega bucks or becoming disillusioned.

OK, remember as a Garage Owner / Professional I don't have to pay the Labour, but mine was back on the Road all MOT'd and Tested for just a few hundred £££, with my determination and the help of a few really clever guys on this Forum ..............

It was after I'd driven it a bit that I fell in love with it, went mad and decided to spend a few grand ££££ bringing it up to Mint with some very tasty upgrades etc etc 👿

Keep us posted on the progress, I'm looking forward to this one :D

HTH

here the fist pictures of the reborn baby...........lots to do internally in brakes and level checks, but looking better every day.
BR to all the fellow contributors in this xat,
JE

Attachments

·
Registered
2000 S430, 2003 S430, 2003 S600 TT, and 2005 E320 CDI
4,341 Posts
Looks similar to our own project 2000 S500 (now the wife's car), without the rust on the bottoms of the doors. Your car looks quite doable. You'll learn a lot about these cars, and you'll know the maintenance was done right. The wife loves driving it.

But I do have a question, though. The driver's side door/window/trunk controls look like the post-facelift cars. Same goes for the side-view mirrors. However, the hood and front bumper cover are definitely pre-facelift. I wonder if someone put a pre-facelift front on this post-facelift car at some point...?

·
Registered
2004 ML 350 w163
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Looks similar to our own project 2000 S500 (now the wife's car), without the rust on the bottoms of the doors. Your car looks quite doable. You'll learn a lot about these cars, and you'll know the maintenance was done right. The wife loves driving it.

But I do have a question, though. The driver's side door/window/trunk controls look like the post-facelift cars. Same goes for the side-view mirrors. However, the hood and front bumper cover are definitely pre-facelift. I wonder if someone put a pre-facelift front on this post-facelift car at some point...?

thanks for your kind comments.
about front look or rear, I really dont know hoy to check if its pre or post facelift.
I can confirm by vin year is correct and model is correct, so, if its a 2005, should be post-facelift right? for these cars, make no sense to put back to pre facelift by choice....and I can confirm it was not crushed front and back at all, so no collission swap on parts.....
have pictures of a post facelift to compare?

·
Registered
Too many to list
8,569 Posts
Look at other pictures of w220 online , look at one from 2000-2002 and one from 2004-2006. In the pictures of the front of the car , near the bottom corners of the grille, you will see the bumper meets the grill differently . There are many more subtle differences but this is the easiest to spot difference

1 - 20 of 21 Posts