Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may be off on terms, I tried to include a picture, but after 8 tries and getting "upload failed" (and no reason why) I have to describe it. Am I right that the center console is the part on the floor, including where the shift is? I think I'm asking about the center panel, above that and below the radio. (If I'm using the wrong terms, I'm sure someone will correct me!)

It'll be a while before I take it apart, so I'd appreciate it if people who have done work on that center panel, above the ash tray and below the radio, could post any pics they have of that area. I have the climate controls that have the thermostat dial and one single row of buttons and the fan buttons (two with an Auto in the center) over on the right. If you've got a matching setup, that's even better.

I want to get an idea of what's back there because I might be doing a mod and I'd rather not have to open it up an extra time, so if you've already got pics of that area, it'd be a big help!

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
I want to get an idea of what's back there because I might be doing a mod and I'd rather not have to open it up an extra time, so if you've already got pics of that area, it'd be a big help!
You're talking about the climate control panel, and you don't want to take it off. Very Bad Things happen when you take that panel off. No one has taken it off and lived.

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
29,105 Posts
You're talking about the climate control panel, and you don't want to take it off. Very Bad Things happen when you take that panel off. No one has taken it off and lived.
Mine is probably different, but I had it off.
It was at God's mercy and some voodoo that I got it back together. Working.

·
Premium Member
9,699 Posts
It sound like yours is just like the 560SL.

1) Remove the ashtray carefully
2) Remove 2 ashtray frame screws and remove frame.
3) the frame holds the lower portion of the panel in place
4) Slide the panel downwards about 1/2" to disengage top part and then the panel and pushbutton assy will come out

Many people have done this on the 560SL style and lived.

I tried to add three pictures and my uploads also failed.

John Roncallo

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What's the reason for the jokes about not taking it off and living? Is it a mess of wires and connectors?

Ron, don't take this wrong, but I'm almost glad to hear your uploads failed. I'm still working with a fairly new FiOS cable account and I was worried Verizon was playing games with my Internet access.

My 380 is a 1985, so I could see it being the same as a 560 in a detail like this.

What is behind this panel? Lots of wires? Any open space?

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
What's the reason for the jokes about not taking it off and living? Is it a mess of wires and connectors?
It's where the gremlins live, and if you let them out they'll take over your car.

OK, so it isn't that big a deal. There's a chance you may be the only person who regularly posts here who hasn't taken the climate control panel off. It was the first job my sister did on her car when she came out to pick it up.

·
29,105 Posts

What is behind this panel?
Lots of brittle tubes and connectors. Pull out your glovebox and peek around the corner to give you an idea.
Or suck it up and jump in feet first.

Unfortunately, you won't have room for a 14" retractable flat screen 100gig doohicky thingmadoodle.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not worried about the gremlins. I've never fed a magwi after midnight in my entire life.

I have not had to take it off at all, which is why I'm asking. I have no intention of putting a 14" screen back there, but I've worked out a design for a 7" diagonal screen that can fit in the radio bay and slide out and pop up, but I've just recently had an idea that is quite simple and will make that unnecessary. I'll just say I'm quite thankful at this point that I work with Linux because that lets me do things that Windows just can't do, which gives me an amazing flexibility with my carputer design.

I was wondering, though, if I could use any of that space for anything. It sounds like the answer is no.

·
29,105 Posts
I have no intention of putting a 14" screen back there
I can't believe you answered that. Loosen up, man.

It is tight in there. There is some room directly below the radio...but not much. You could remove the ashtray assembly and use that space.

·
It Is What It Is, Dude
22,839 Posts
You could get a hitch, and one of these, and have a carputer and a carstove and a carblender and a carmicrowave and a carbarcolounger and a cardishwasher and a carcommode and a carbar, and if you take your cat, a carpet.

·
29,105 Posts
You could get a hitch, and one of these, and have a carputer and a carstove and a carblender and a carmicrowave and a carbarcolounger and a cardishwasher and a carcommode and a carbar, and if you take your cat, a carpet.
I'm cryin' here. Holy fuck, that's funny.
Funniest post so far this year.
Thanks alot.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I can't believe you answered that. Loosen up, man.

It is tight in there. There is some room directly below the radio...but not much. You could remove the ashtray assembly and use that space.
Actually, when he talked about a 14" screen and 100gigazillions, or whatever, I had intended to write it that I had no intention of putting in a 14" screen at all -- then say I was going to put in a 100zillion inch screen and 14 gig storage, or something like that, but the numbers for the specs I've been working on are stuck in my head and I guess I just geeked out and put those in and forgot my facetious response.

I hadn't thought about the ashtray. That's an interesting idea since I'm allergic to cigarette smoke and don't allow smoking in my car anyway. One issue, though, is the closeness to the shift. I can't use it for a screen (but I think I've solved the screen problem with a neat trick). I could keep the front from the ashtray and put whatever I wanted behind it. I'm still hoping to keep most of the hardware under the parcel shelf, though.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)

I dunno. I'm just a poor owner of a little tiny 380 engine. Will that be able to pull that?

Remember, you guys are laughing now, but when I have a 107 with what looks like an authentic Becker BE612 in it but instead it has a great computer driven sound system, GPS, wifi, the ability to update my whole tune collection overnight, automatically, while I sleep, a backup camera, the ability to watch DVDs when I'm stuck waiting for someone in a boring parking lot, and when I get the autoreporting of the GPS working so whenever it goes into a wifi hotspot, it reports the car's position if it's been stolen --

Well, when I have all that in my 107 and you can't tell by looking at it, then -- then --

Well, then I guess you'll laugh even harder, won't you? ;)

·
29,105 Posts

·
One of the BW Old Guard/R129, W204 Moderator
7,143 Posts
...so if you've already got pics of that area, it'd be a big help!

Thanks!
Hal,

I don't know if it will help, but there are a couple of pics of mine with the console out of the car, located on my site: rmsmith's Homepage .
Removing the climate control panel is not hard. I am sorry to report that, even with the KLIMA and the stereo removed, there is not too much depth in the area behind the console.

http://home.roadrunner.com/~rmsmithco/6boxout.jpg
http://home.roadrunner.com/~rmsmithco/8boxinl.jpg

1 - 20 of 49 Posts