Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Only one week ago I was asking for advice on a 1983 380SEL, for me. Then, the nice folks at the W126 forum gave me some outstanding advice about the price (too high) and what I could get instead. I am now proud owner of an 87 420 SEL.<br> <br> Well, as someone mentioned there, once the wife gets a drive on an MB, I'd be stuck with the Corolla. SInce I have a special woman, she would not do that to me. <br> <br> Instead, she found herself a 1983 380SL in absolutely beautiful condition with only 78,500 miles for $10,000.00<br> <br> It checks out on Carfax, AutoCheck, etc. We'll take to the mechanic tomorrow and the only thing is that, according to the odometer check, it seems to not have been used for a couple of years between 1997 and 1999. The odometer moved by only 8 miles.<br> <br> Should I be worried about this? - also, does the same timing chain issue that I was warned about on the SEL affect the SL engines?? - what else should I be on the alert for?<br> <br> ANY advice is welcome. Thanks in advance.<br> Jose B. Gonzalez

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
FYI (Mercedes Benz information MBNA/MBC S 2467 000 03/'91) <br> <br> 'The V8s 380SL/SLC/SEL from 81 to 83 with engine numbers 116.96.. up to model year 1983 were fitted with simplex chain (186 links) and it must be replaced with the duplex chain together with all the sprokets in case of repair. The left-hand cylinder head must be removed for this purpose' <br> <br> Converting to duplex chain is at $3000 proposition<br> (Check your engine number)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts