Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Reproduction Dome Light Assembly!

11K views 31 replies 15 participants last post by  z168 
#1 ·
#5 ·
Hmmm, generally i like attempt to solve a problem, but its not really a assembly, the whole inner stucture is missing, as well as all the electrics.
(I wonder how long it takes until Hella and MB sues them for misusing their rights.)

Cheers, Frank

#7 · (Edited)
So I'm only 2 weeks behind the times, good to know. The vendor should do a video demonstrating installation, for some reason, I don't think it is as straightforward as a quick swap out, there might be more to it. Mine will probably disintegrate upon next removal, don't think I will consider replacement until needed.

I think the "inner structure" mentioned above is a black frame that sits in the housing and would need to be moved over. Mine has been firmly epoxied into place, so this solution will not work, unless that frame is also provided.

Attachments

#8 ·
Yup.

All the electronics mount to the black backing and the console cover then mounts to the backing with melt-over pins. These pins need to be carefully drilled out to separate the backing from the cover. It's not just a pretty cover, it's quite sophisticated.

Doing a copy of the black backing is as great an idea as the cover itself as the backing often cracks at the 2 mount locations behind the console lights.

#10 ·
Mine came in today. It feels well made and sturdy. It has a texture to it where the original I have is smooth. It doesn't matter to me one way or the other. The texture matches the dashboard and the center console. The grey color is a bit darker than my interior but the seller did let me know that ahead of time. I will buy a cheap can of spray paint and then install it. Once that is done I'll post again regarding the fit.

#20 ·
I am also interested in removing the SOS button. Looking forward to your pictures and steps for removing it.

#22 ·
That is the one thing that I am concerned with. I fear Removing the console Mine will also disintegrate. I am hoping to just repair mine As it only has one crack. But I would like to know my options In case mine also disintegrate. Thanks for posting your experience. I would appreciate a daytime picture See how close the color is.

Do you have LED lights In that overhead console? If so Could you tell us what They are and where you got them?

Thank you

#23 ·
You can remove the console from the car without damaging it any further, but you will need to be super careful removing the electrical components from the plastic cover. I had no intention of keeping my cover because it was already cracked in four places.

If you have the Orion gray interior, the paint color is very similar to the color of the dash. It is not the lighter gray that is on the doors, trim, and sun visors. I am looking for spray paint that will match the lighter gray color.

I used an LED light set from ebay. https://www.ebay.com/itm/16pcs-LED-...ercedes-Benz-SL-class-R129-92-01/273127636643

You can get the lights (much) cheaper, but I liked having everything labeled and ready to go. No trial and error.

#26 ·
I just repainted the dome cover with SEM 15183 warm grey. To my knowledge, no one carries the lighter shade of Orion grey, but this one from SEM is an almost exact match. It is plenty good enough for me - compare to the rearview mirror which is original. I'll post final installed photo once it dries/cures.

EDIT: added final photo. I like it.

#27 ·
that looks pretty good, does it look as good in person?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.