Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts
Jeebus,

Please post the steps for removing the SOS button. If you can post pics, that would be greatly appreciated. Based upon your experience, may buy one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am also interested in removing the SOS button. Looking forward to your pictures and steps for removing it.

I just did this last night. I didn't take photos of the SOS removal process (totally forgot I said I would do that) however the removal is super simple. Once you remove the plastic cover, which involves removing the mirror assembly, three screws in the metal plate of the cover, and two more screws beneath the dome lights, you can lower the entire dome light assembly and you will see connections including the main connector, the dome lights on either side, the SOS button, and then one more connection (can't exactly figure out what it was for). Unplugging all of these connections frees the assembly for removal and replacement. To remove the SOS button, simply unplug it from the connection and remove it.... that's it! I have no dash lights indicating that it is not connected.

The quality of the reproduction dome light cover is sturdy. The fit is about 95%, so if you want OEM fit you will need to spend money to get an original replacement. You can see what happened when I removed my dome light cover, it basically disintegrated. I used double sided tape to secure the innards to the new dome light cover. No rattles while driving.

I repainted the cover with Colorbond Orion Gray paint but the shade is darker than it should be. It actually more closely matches the dash than it does the original light grey. I will repaint it at some point down the road once I find a better matching paint. If anyone has a source, I would love to hear about it. I also replaced all interior lights with LEDs. Since I did this project in the evening, I don't have any photos of the cover installed in the day time. I'll try to do that sometime in the next couple days.

That is the one thing that I am concerned with. I fear Removing the console Mine will also disintegrate. I am hoping to just repair mine As it only has one crack. But I would like to know my options In case mine also disintegrate. Thanks for posting your experience. I would appreciate a daytime picture See how close the color is.

Do you have LED lights In that overhead console? If so Could you tell us what They are and where you got them?

Thank you

That is the one thing that I am concerned with. I fear Removing the console Mine will also disintegrate. I am hoping to just repair mine As it only has one crack. But I would like to know my options In case mine also disintegrate. Thanks for posting your experience. I would appreciate a daytime picture See how close the color is.

Do you have LED lights In that overhead console? If so Could you tell us what They are and where you got them?

Thank you
You can remove the console from the car without damaging it any further, but you will need to be super careful removing the electrical components from the plastic cover. I had no intention of keeping my cover because it was already cracked in four places.

If you have the Orion gray interior, the paint color is very similar to the color of the dash. It is not the lighter gray that is on the doors, trim, and sun visors. I am looking for spray paint that will match the lighter gray color.

I used an LED light set from ebay. https://www.ebay.com/itm/16pcs-LED-...ercedes-Benz-SL-class-R129-92-01/273127636643

You can get the lights (much) cheaper, but I liked having everything labeled and ready to go. No trial and error.

I just repainted the dome cover with SEM 15183 warm grey. To my knowledge, no one carries the lighter shade of Orion grey, but this one from SEM is an almost exact match. It is plenty good enough for me - compare to the rearview mirror which is original. I'll post final installed photo once it dries/cures.

EDIT: added final photo. I like it.

I just repainted the dome cover with SEM 15183 warm grey. To my knowledge, no one carries the lighter shade of Orion grey, but this one from SEM is an almost exact match. It is plenty good enough for me - compare to the rearview mirror which is original. I'll post final installed photo once it dries/cures.

EDIT: added final photo. I like it.

that looks pretty good, does it look as good in person?

that looks pretty good, does it look as good in person?
Yes, I am very pleased with it. I mentioned above that the fit is about 95% OEM. There is a small gap in the front and on the side but it is hard to notice and it doesn't bother me. I could probably adjust it to get it fit perfectly, but I'm tired of taking it off and on :)

I also painted the replacement 3D printed sun visor trim covers (one is shown in the photo above) and the vanity mirror covers with that paint - it's a really nice match. Good use of $15. The interior is starting to look really good.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.