Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
One of the BW Old Guard/R129, W204 Moderator
7,143 Posts
Where 'ave you been?
https://www.benzworld.org/forums/r129-sl-class/1414568-how-remove-repair-overhead-console-2.html#post17641928

He was selling thru Facebook marketplace when I found him. I suggested he needed to expand his sales outlets, and suggested he contact moderators here...

·
Registered
616 Posts
Anyone buy one? If the fit is good, it would solve a common problem.
Interesting it has the MB part number and logo on it.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Anyone buy one? If the fit is good, it would solve a common problem.
Interesting it has the MB part number and logo on it.
Hmmm, generally i like attempt to solve a problem, but its not really a assembly, the whole inner stucture is missing, as well as all the electrics.
(I wonder how long it takes until Hella and MB sues them for misusing their rights.)

Cheers, Frank

·
Outstanding Contributor
1,977 Posts
The reproduction fiberglass Sport/AMG tow hook covers I got for my bumper even had HWA numbers on them.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
So I'm only 2 weeks behind the times, good to know. The vendor should do a video demonstrating installation, for some reason, I don't think it is as straightforward as a quick swap out, there might be more to it. Mine will probably disintegrate upon next removal, don't think I will consider replacement until needed.

I think the "inner structure" mentioned above is a black frame that sits in the housing and would need to be moved over. Mine has been firmly epoxied into place, so this solution will not work, unless that frame is also provided.

Attachments

·
Outstanding Contributor
1,977 Posts
Yup.

All the electronics mount to the black backing and the console cover then mounts to the backing with melt-over pins. These pins need to be carefully drilled out to separate the backing from the cover. It's not just a pretty cover, it's quite sophisticated.

Doing a copy of the black backing is as great an idea as the cover itself as the backing often cracks at the 2 mount locations behind the console lights.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Mine came in today. It feels well made and sturdy. It has a texture to it where the original I have is smooth. It doesn't matter to me one way or the other. The texture matches the dashboard and the center console. The grey color is a bit darker than my interior but the seller did let me know that ahead of time. I will buy a cheap can of spray paint and then install it. Once that is done I'll post again regarding the fit.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Hmmm, generally i like attempt to solve a problem, but its not really a assembly, the whole inner stucture is missing, as well as all the electrics.
(I wonder how long it takes until Hella and MB sues them for misusing their rights.)

Cheers, Frank
Then MB and Hella should get off their backsides and make these available..as their is obviously a global demand.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm getting rid of the SOS button on my 01. I also ordered LED interior lights that I want to switch out so it'll be a week or two before I get this installed.

·
Registered
866 Posts
I'm getting rid of the SOS button on my 01. I also ordered LED interior lights that I want to switch out so it'll be a week or two before I get this installed.

Jeebus,

Please post the steps for removing the SOS button. If you can post pics, that would be greatly appreciated. Based upon your experience, may buy one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
Jeebus,

Please post the steps for removing the SOS button. If you can post pics, that would be greatly appreciated. Based upon your experience, may buy one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am also interested in removing the SOS button. Looking forward to your pictures and steps for removing it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts