Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In case any of the information below looks familiar, I have a few old posts as degl. I lost the password, may have registered with a now abandoned email. So I start anew.

I thought some might be interested in a report of the first 200k miles on my '08 GL320cdi.

The good: I still love the GL. I drive a lot, as you might imagine. The comfort is outstanding, the utility is great, handling and ride are beyond reproach for a large SUV. Paint, interior, body integrity - all excellent. This in spite of a life largely outdoors, driven and used in all weathers. Everything still works so far as I know and most repairs have been minor in nature (but see below!). Oil consumption is a bit less than one quart between changes (every 10k). This has been consistent for at least 70,000 miles. I routinely get 26 mpg, 24 mpg when there is a mix of highway and city driving. Nothing leaks - now anyway - which takes me to...

The bad: Perhaps the biggest single irritant is the obsolete Ipod connection for which there is no replacement, upgrade, or even aftermarket solution (as far as I know). Tires have been expensive and short-lived, mostly Continentals running 30,000 miles. I just changed to Firestone Destination; far less expensive. So far so good. I finally had the new seal kit put in the oil cooler and it seems to work. The air suspension went at 120,000 miles and I replaced it myself with Aarnot (excellent), the turbo failed at 180,000 miles, the transfer case at 195,000 miles, I once put gasoline in the tank (ARRRGGGH!!!). But then there was...

The UGLY! At about 185,000 miles the entire right hand valve train self destructed, save the valves themselves. The vacuum pump, timing belt, camshaft, assorted bearings, all trash. The damage was so complete that it was impossible to tell what failed initially. There is no replacement valve head assembly from MB, not new, not rebuilt. Nothing. It was necessary to catalog every part and order every piece and build it from scratch. This cost, oh, roughly the replacement value of the car at that time. Any sane, sensible person would have dropped in a salvage engine. I am neither, I guess.

Why didn't I buy a new (or at least newer) one? First, finding good, clean used ones is not easy. Second, driving 35,000 to 40,000 miles a year my first year's depreciation on a new one would roughly equal ALL the repairs I have every had for this car. Note that I would be out of standard warranty after only 15 months, give or take. And I doubt very seriously I would notice any significant changes in the drivability in a new one over mine. As bad as the valve train failure was, I need drive it only another 20,000 miles or so to get my money's worth.

My plan, my hope(!) is to get another 100,000 miles out of this one - perhaps two more years - and look at a later model. As I absolutely must have a spare tire that means a 2013 or later. I make no predictions; we shall see.

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
that is crazy on the valve train mess
hope that is something i avoid in the future- which will be a long time mileage wise for me i hope

please keep us up to date on how it is doing, repairs etc

i am in the same boat as you, drive about 55,000 miles a year and no matter what you do you are out of warranty too quick to justify buying new

i put 35,000-40,000 a year on my 06 E320 CDI and the rest on the suv- which is now a 2008 GL320 replacing a 2008 ML320 i totalled

hoping to get LOTS of miles out of my e class- 210,000 now and would love to hit 350,000- 400,000 on the GL eventually....

mine only has 85,000 on it, oil cooler has been done before i bought it and i just did the transfer case

hoping it goes a while with no other issues

really like the ride of the GL over my ML, very pleased with this truck
the ML was a great truck and was very reliable for me but so hard to find loaded ones and the GLs come stock with so many options

hope you easily get another 100,000 out of yours, will be following your updates closely

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
curious what part of the country you are in? does yours see a lot of ice/snow?

i am in the desert and with the exception of this winter mostly worry about heat issues, no super cold starts in the mornings here

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
not sure what you paid to have that motor fixed but when i hydrolocked my 08ML in a running wash got a quote from husker to get a new motor from mercedes for around 8500 plus shipping

it would have come with a 3 year 50,000 mile mercedes warranty

biggest drawback was they thought it would take a month to get here from germany

ended up selling the ML to my mechanic and buying the GL instead

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
3 Participants
cvincent
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing