Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

81 - 100 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
2,024 Posts

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Wanting to protect my fobs, I purchased this "Black Silicone Cover Flip Key Case Jacket For MERCEDES BENZ" via eBay. Ordered on May 5th but haven't gotten it yet as it ships from China. When I do get it I'll report back as to whether it's of decent quality or not. Was only $5.87 and free shipping to USA so not expecting much, but we'll see.
I have purchased these silicone covers for my SL, Range Rover, and Ford Focus. They do a great job of protecting the key body. The downside on the SL is the cover stops the blade flipping out nicely and as it effectively makes the key body longer it interferes with turning the key in the ignition. I put up with that by peeling the cover off slightly when in use. They do look pretty cool though, I have Red and Black for each car so I know what key is which, main/spare. Mine where less than $2 so a no brainer to keep the key protected https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32837306628.html?spm=2114.search0104.3.20.ff1b2921Eoo75H&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0%2Csearchweb201602_7_10065_10068_319_10059_10884_317_10548_10887_10696_321_322_10084_453_10083_454_10103_10618_10307_537_536%2Csearchweb201603_52%2CppcSwitch_0&algo_expid=9f4b199c-4c18-4e5e-942c-0d72c60e80ce-3&algo_pvid=9f4b199c-4c18-4e5e-942c-0d72c60e80ce&transAbTest=ae803_4

·
Registered
163 Posts
So is there anything definitive on replacement keys of any kind?
FOB's of Flat Keys?

Thanks,

J
I just ordered a new blade for my 96 and was told again that Fobs are not available from MB. I plan on getting an Ebay fake Fob, just so I have something to put the new blade in for safe keeping.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Do the fake EBay FOB's actually work?

I have a 99

thank,

J

No. They do not have the transponder for the anti theft system. MB Classics Center in California told me October November time frame. New vendor was secured and keys are starting to become available in Europe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
219 Posts
Thank you. Seems like you should be able to go to your local dealer and prove ownership and let them order the key from Europe. I'm sure that there is a reason that they can't do that either.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Thank you. Seems like you should be able to go to your local dealer and prove ownership and let them order the key from Europe. I'm sure that there is a reason that they can't do that either.

Yeah, they can only order from the US network based out of Dallas. When parts are made, they are allocated based on supply on hand to all the regions. Europe is usually first to get them and once enough inventory is on hand, other regions get the parts.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I've already done that, dealer says MB stopped production for my car until further notice.
And my particular model key fob is impossible to replicate.
Translation....... Not in our lifetime.
Being cynical at this moment- Beating a dead horse. MB really doesnt care one way or another.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I've already done that, dealer says MB stopped production for my car until further notice.
And my particular model key fob is impossible to replicate.
That is mostly accurate. The company that made the transponder chip went out of business. MB thus lost the supplier for these keys. They can get you a new blade all day long, but cannot get a fob because they cannot get a transponder chip to place inside of it to make the car start. That said, they have secured a new supplier for the chips and have started production of new fobs. They already began to fill European inventory and the US is slated to start getting stock in Dallas beginning October/November.

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
I would not be posting....if.....I found it on ebay, etc.
I did a search....3 button + panic...key fob remote....with infrared plastic lens...
Not found.
I did find the 3 button +panic...all black plastic case.
Any leads on what I'd like to buy? Appreciate it.

·
Registered
216 Posts
THey haven't resumed production of the later 4 button fobs 3 + Panic.
That's not true. People have been able to get 3/4 button remotes in Europe for their US import cars, I think there are pictures of them in this thread too.

As others have pointed out, they're probably building up inventory before they become available outside of Europe.

As for the MY97 1 button transponder remotes, I ordered mine in January and got it in March. In April I ordered another one and now the delivery estimate is late July/early August. So looks like the queue is longer now.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Question:

If my infrared stops working, can I still unlock my car and start the engine with the key?
Yes. The remote system is separate from the drive authorization system and only operates the central locking. At least this applies to the infrared-only system, and I'm pretty sure the same goes for the MY98+ RF system too.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Yes. The remote system is separate from the drive authorization system and only operates the central locking. At least this applies to the infrared-only system, and I'm pretty sure the same goes for the MY98+ RF system too.

That is correct. You can still use the key to manually operate the locks, trunk, and start the car. I’m getting close to that point with mine. Buttons only work when I’m standing next to the car.

81 - 100 of 102 Posts
About this Discussion
101 Replies
30 Participants
bartsitarski
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing