Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1998 SLK230
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new Hepu pump to install. Any advice, suggestions, warnings, stories, etc - bring em on....

·
Registered
1998 SLK230
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, I put off replacing it and now it's rattling like crazy. Gotta change it this weekend. Do I need to remove the radiator or fan to gain access? Any thing else that has to come off? It looks faily straight forward. Oh, anybody know what type of socket I need? The bolts look like some kind of star or torx pattern. And I've been told that Zerex G-05 coolant is approved. Any thoughts? Thanks.

·
Registered
Golf R32 / Prev R170 SLK
6,821 Posts
OK, I put off replacing it and now it's rattling like crazy. Gotta change it this weekend. Do I need to remove the radiator or fan to gain access? Any thing else that has to come off? It looks faily straight forward. Oh, anybody know what type of socket I need? The bolts look like some kind of star or torx pattern. And I've been told that Zerex G-05 coolant is approved. Any thoughts? Thanks.
Torx. Buy a set for the others you will find on the car.

If you have a larger pulley that will need to be pulled as it blocks removal.

Rad stays. Fan clips off but I dont think it needs removing. Have you ever taken belts off before??

Bazzle

·
Registered
1998 SLK230
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've removed the serpentine belt off my old 302 Mustang, but not the Benz. Shouldn't be that hard. Thanks for the help mate.

·
Registered
'03 SLK32 AMG
457 Posts
be sure to put a little thread sealer on all the bolts before replacing. the service manual has the specific ones to seal up but I was like eh, screw it, and did all of them. :)

·
Registered
1998 SLK230
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pump failed before I could get Torx sockets, so Vaughn Motorwerks got my $280 for labor and genuine Mercedes antifreeze. Maybe next time I'll do it. Thanks Bazzle and rasoul for your input.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts