Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
03 C240 V6
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I brought my 03 C240 V6 for an oil change at the dealer today and they found an oil leak at the valve cover gasket. The dealer wants $595 to fix it, a local shop quoted about $340. Is this something easy to replace myself. I have done valve gasket on Honda but not on a MBZ.

Thanks.

·
Registered
CLS550 Master Lease, 1990 300zxTT, 2000 camry
361 Posts
Yes this is a very easy fix that you can take care of at home with a little bit of skill. Which side is leaking? I can give you directions if you would like, but I bet there is a post on here already about how to do them. It takes me about 45 minutes to do them in the shop.

·
Registered
03 C240 V6
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess I will replace both sides. If you can give me some directions, then that will be great.

The dealer found out while doing an oil change. Would I have to replace the oil again when change the valve gaskets?

·
Registered
C240WMT
59 Posts
I just did this a few months ago. The gaskets were about $30.

Use the Highest temperature (sensor safe) Silicone you can get for the two Valve cover caps. Note that the sealing area between the caps and the valve covers must be absolutely clean and dry. Use brake cleaner to clean the two mating surfaces before adding the Silicone.

On the drivers side valve cover both 1/2" rubber breather hoses broke so I had to replace them. They were cheap, about $4 and $8.

You may have to disconnect a braided Gasoline line to get the drivers side valve cover off.

--Victor

·
Registered
361 Posts
Ok well lets get this started lol. For tools you are going to need the following I prefer a 1/4 ratchet with a 3in. extension swivel and an 8mm socket for taking the valve cover bolts off. A T30 to remove the bolts holding the ignition coils on, a T25 for the bolts holding the vent chamber covers on and a 17mm wrech for removing the fuel line from the driver side. An optional tool that will make this much easier is the wrench for removing the spark plug boots(part# 110 589 01 01 00).

For parts you will need the valve cover gaskets for both sides of the vehicle, there are 4 PCV hoses that I would replace when doing the gaskets since they are cheap and you will be in there anyway. I would recommend using MB sealant to reseal the vent chambers on the valve cover, and a couple zip ties. Here are the part numbers for what I could find:
Driver valve cover gasket - A112 016 02 21
Passenger gasket - A112 016 03 21
PCV Hoses - A112 018 01 82, A112 018 06 82, A112 018 02 82, A112 018 03 82
PCV "t" fitting - A112 018 02 09

Start by loosing and moving to the side your fuel line on the driver side of the engine. Then unplug and mark all 6 of your ignition coils. Use your T30 and remove the bolts from the coils and disconnect spark plugs boots and set this off to the side(you should probably clean them) Now disconnect your PCV hoses, these are probably very hard and dry and will most likely break. Now use the 1/4 ratchet and 8mm socket to remove all the holding down the valve cover. Once the valve covers are removed you need to remove the T25's holding the vent chambers down. Use a large flat head screw driver to pry the covers off but be careful it is all aluminum. Clean the vent chamber caps and valve covers very well there should be no remaining sealant or moisture when you go to reinstall these. Make sure your surfaces on the head are clean and install the valve cover with gasket on both sides of the engine, do not put the vent chambers on yet. once you put the MC sealant on the vent chamber you can set it on the valve cover and use the VALVE COVER BOLTS to tighten this cover down(the vent chamber bolts will break if you try to tighten with them) once you have the cover tightened down you can install the vent chamber bolts be very careful they are a very soft metal. Now Install your new PCV hoses a little spray silicone will help a lot here. Put your ignition coils back on and plug them in, reattach your fuel line and let sit to dry for at least an hour. You should be good to go.

·
Registered
C240WMT
59 Posts
kyle21nluvnit, my c240 did not have 8mm fasteners holding the valve covers like you describe. It has what looks like reverse torx head screws (don't know what these are called). A socket set for this type of head is available at Autozone.

Also, I just unplugged the connecter on the coils, but left them on the spark plugs. There's plentry of room to move them down to just above the exhaust manifold. It's up to you.

--Victor

·
Registered
361 Posts
They are actually E10 bolts so yes you are correct but an 8mm works on them just as well. Yes you can leave the coils connected I said that step was optional, it just makes it a little easier to work around with them out and you can also clean them off good.

·
Registered
00 Audi TT & 00 E320 4M
1,547 Posts
I just did this a few months ago. The gaskets were about $30.

Use the Highest temperature (sensor safe) Silicone you can get for the two Valve cover caps. Note that the sealing area between the caps and the valve covers must be absolutely clean and dry. Use brake cleaner to clean the two mating surfaces before adding the Silicone.

On the drivers side valve cover both 1/2" rubber breather hoses broke so I had to replace them. They were cheap, about $4 and $8.

You may have to disconnect a braided Gasoline line to get the drivers side valve cover off.

--Victor
I know this is an old thread but I read somewhere that you're not suppose to use silicone at all just the gasket by itself :confused:

·
Registered
03 C240 V6
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
While replacing A112 018 06 82, the plastic tube that is in the rear of the vent chamber. I encountered a problem. The end of this tube is a Y, which goes to a bottom of MAF and a "T fitting". While getting it into this "T fitting", the other end of the "T fitting" came loose. There was a red piece. I'm trying to push it back in but it's not a tight fit. it's just kinda of sitting there on the "T fitting" but the plastic tube is secure.

What should I do? What is that piece anyway?

·
Registered
2001 C320
11 Posts
I know this is an old thread but I read somewhere that you're not suppose to use silicone at all just the gasket by itself :confused:
I just purchased the Chilton Repair Manual and it says on 272 type engines (2006 and later), RTV sealant must be used in several locations under the valve covers. 2005 and earlier just use the gasket.

·
Registered
2001 C320
11 Posts
Is there a pattern to tighten the valve cover and vent chamber bolts?
Per Chilton's on 2005 models and earlier there isn't a pattern to tighten the valve cover. It says to tighten the bolts a little at a time until reaching the torque spec of 70 in-lbs (not ft-lbs!).

·
Registered
03 C240 V6
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just hand tighted the bolts from the middle and out and do that a few times.

70 in-lbs is liek 5-6 ft-lbs. I just tighten it till it wouldn't turn.

·
Registered
2001 C320
11 Posts
I had some oil leaking from my passenger side valve cover but it wasn't from where it attaches to the engine. The oil was leaking from the small cover on the top back of the valve cover. I believe it is some sort of air recovery piece. It doesn't use a gasket but a seal of loctite (silicone). I took the piece off, cleaned it up and reinstalled with a new bead of loctite and no more leaks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 01 C240 and the PCV hoses on the driver's side broke and I am having a hard time putting it back on. Is very hard to reach any sugestions on how to fix.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I brought my 03 C240 V6 for an oil change at the dealer today and they found an oil leak at the valve cover gasket. The dealer wants $595 to fix it, a local shop quoted about $340. Is this something easy to replace myself. I have done valve gasket on Honda but not on a MBZ.

Thanks.
Tighten the torx screws on the breather housings first before doing anything else. It's a 5-minute job (do not over tighten though). The 4 small torx screws tend to loosen over time- there is no torque setting for the cited screws, just hand tighten gently.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts