Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I own a 1993 500SL. On a recent "free" checkup at a local dealer, they noted that the short power steering hose between the PS reservoir and the Power steering pump was leaking and needed to be replaced at a cost of $440. This seems outrageously high however it was explained to me that it was very difficult to do and required removal of the power steering pump among other things. Well, I am a DIY type of person and after a look it didn’t really seem too bad. In fact it proved to be fairly simple and roughly a 1 hour task – a bit tight working conditions for large hands but do-able. I hope that this proves useful to some fellow owner out there.

Here is what you need: (yes I am aware of the potential of using non-MB parts and fluids, however this makes it a one stop trip and I have run into issues before with OEM “equivalents” previously that far outweigh the few bucks extra cost of the MB parts) Pay attention to the hose clamp style – MB has 3 or 4 different designs. Select the ones with the smallest worm barrel and screw head. If you can avoid it – don’t use the ones with the two threaded posts as they take up even more room. Space is at a premium here and larger clamps are hard to position and reach. Do not substitute other types of hose as they have to hold up to constant exposure to PS fluid.

Part number QTY Description Cost
Q-1-46-0001 1 Power Steering Fluid $9.76
005-997-45-90 2 Hose Clamp $2.30
006-997-09-82 1 0.1m length Hose, Oil Cooler $4.25 *
007603-020100 1 Ring, General (Al seal ring) $1.49
129-466-01-80 1 Gasket, Steering Reservoir $27.00
000-466-16-80 1 Gasket, PS Reservoir cover $3.44
119-997-00-45 1 Seal O Ring, PS Return hose $2.53
000-466-21-04 1 Power Steering Filter $17.22

* This MB hose is usually sold in 1M lengths for $42.50. The parts department was kind enough to sell me 1/10 M – enough to make two attempts to cut the hose right – more later.

I have seen the two expensive parts listed at various online MB OEM suppliers at lower costs if you can plan ahead. PS filter for $4.00 and reservoir gasket at ~$4.00.

Next there are a few special tools you will need in addition to standard combination wrenches and sockets.
1) 12mm allen wrench or allen Socket
2) E8 Torx socket
3) small vice grips
4) turkey baster
5) dental style mirror with pivoting head
6) flashlight
7) razor cutter or utility knife

The detailed step by step proceedure is included in the attached microsoft word file below as the text was too long for the posting.

Attachments

·
Registered
1994 SL 500, 1987 BMW325es
59 Posts
I have a '94, and I had the same problem. I couldn't understand why it was leaking.
Well, I had gone to the dealer for another problem, and was sitting in the waiting room. I picked up one of the Motor magazines, and lo and behold there was an article about this problem. It seems that there were two different kinds o pumps used, basically similar, but one had a larger nipple. Therefore, a hose about 1/4" smaller was to be used. Not my luck, they used the larger hose and no matter how much I tightened the clamps it leaked.
I brougt the car back to the dealer and was covered under my warranty.
If I had to do it myself, my thought was to loosen both clamps and somehow get a razor knife and just keep on scoring the hose around until I took off that small amount of extra hose.
You would think that they would have put out a bulletin, but why do that when most people would just accept the leak.

·
Registered
1995 SL500
125 Posts
Sounds like it's a pretty straight-forward repair. Regarding the part numbers: You mentioned that some of the parts you got were not from MB. I recognize some of the parts as MB parts - "129-...". Where did you get the other parts?

·
Registered
2013 SL550 Grey/ Red/Black Ash wood with every option
427 Posts
Backert1, the repair you performed was done by the hundreds at the dealerships. When I did mine I bought a seal kit for the power steering pump to eliminate all possiblities of PS fluid leaks, although I was 99% sure it was the hose. I hope you used: 129-466-01-80 Gasket, Steering Reservoir $27.00, instead of the $4.00 gasket, otherwise you will be re-doing it. You'll note when observing the MB gasket it has an extra bead of material on it, and the $4.00 one does not. I always try to buy from the dealer on certain items..............Thor

·
Registered
2007 CLS 550, 1998 Harley Road King, 2011 F-150 EcoBoost, '65 Shelby Cobra
978 Posts
To the rest of you who will eventually faced this little problem. BEWARE of your stealer! I went to Long Beach Mercedes for one of their "free" inspections. They told me the pump was leaking and that I had to have a new pump installed! I think they wanted $800 :eek: (don't quote me). I took it to my indy and he said it was just the hose. He replaced it while still on the car.

·
Registered
MB SL600, MB 380SE, Suzuki Grand Vitara, 38' Chris-Craft, Volvo V70XC, and my own two feet...
4,131 Posts
Dad had same experience as RoadKing. $tealer told him PS pump was leaking, and tried to take him for $1k+, but it was clearly the hose. He was wise enough to hold off, and indy replaced the hose for chump change. FWIW, all the indys know about some of them taking a different sized hose, I'm not sure why it's such a shock to the $tealers.

His steering gearbox was also leaking, and the stealer wanted $3k for that job. So I found a company in California (mercedessteering.com) who rebuilds the whole unit for $300 instead. I wonder how many people they snare with these *ahem* "free" inspections? Damn sure the most expensive "free" inspections I ever heard of...

·
Greek God of the R129
SL500-500SEL-190E
8,391 Posts
Well I am not immune to this decease either.
I had replaced the two small power steering return hoses that were leaking.
One is almost strait, the other you must loop it.
The loop takes care of the engine vibrations.

Did it from under the car, it is very tight.
Some of the clamps I put them face up, to make tightening easier.

Then I found an other leak, coming from a small crack in the reservoir cover gasket.
That I could hardly see.

No joke this time guys.
When I was doing this repair I was pissed off. :(

Regards.
aam.

·
Registered
1995 SL500
125 Posts
I just finished replacing the hose on my '95 SL using the above steps. This is really a pretty easy job, and the steps are easy to follow! Now, I hope to see a "clean" garage floor, instead of my daily PS fluid wipe! Thanks for the detailed instructions!!

·
Registered
1991 500SL (Japan) - 133K KMS
311 Posts
Raising an old thread, but still very applicable.

I've got a leak with that small return hose in between the powersteering cannister and the powersteering pump. It was a pain to take out and I can imagine if you multiply that pain by a factor of 10...that's what it will be like putting it back on. The last person that messed with that hose did it improperly (it looked twisted and mangled) which tells me that if you force it in, you're only asking to redo the entire operation. So I want to do it right.

Are these instructions (and parts) applicable to my '91?

Does anyone have any suggestions regarding the replacement of this hose? Apparently there is a "trick" in doing this; found it here.

How can I tell which powersteering pump I have? Apparently there are different hose diameters dependent on the pump's design. But in all seriousness, does it REALLY make a difference what kind of hose I get if it's simply a low pressure return line hose? For example, using a transmission return line hose with equal diameter? They are pretty much identical. I'm just trying to figure out which size I need. My original line is pretty mangled (mostly my fault from removing it).

Also, the gasket (129-466-01-80) comment; is there a real difference between the dealership version and say the one on autohauz?
IMG00028-20100430-1000.jpg

·
Registered
1995 SL 500 2017 AMG GLC 43
942 Posts
This is the key statement from the writeup link you supplied. "- remove upper nipple from inside the reservoir using the hex wrench". Removing this nipple makes the job easy. You can buy the 12mm Hex wrench from Sears. Buy the proper hose from an MB dealer. Buy a foot. Or do what you wish. Good luck.

·
Greek God of the R129
SL500-500SEL-190E
8,391 Posts
I bought mine from autohasaz read my post.
I only removed the hoses, NO fittings.

You must loop the long hose, it is for taking the engine vibrations.
It is very tight, but if I did it so can you.

Pay attention how you face the clamps for easy tightening.

Regards.
aam.

·
Registered
1991 500SL (Japan) - 133K KMS
311 Posts
Alright, managed to change the hose. Got all the parts wholesale, so it was extremely cheap. The hose was given to me for free. I didn't use Mercedes-Benz official hose line, but the fact that it's a low pressure return line, I received what was a beefier/stronger version of what I had on there before.

Some pics:

Two of the "special" tools you'll need. Got both sockets from Lordco Auto Parts

1.jpg

2.jpg

This is the line I used. Not sure how hell bent you are on getting MB hoses, but I'll know soon enough if this does this job or not. Looks heftier and tougher than the original MB hose that was on there before. Note, this is a 16mm hose, but it fit rather snug, but I now know mine is a 15mm hose and not a 10mm hose. My hose was leaking pretty bad and I would have had to wait for MB to bring the hose in so I just made due with the 16mm hose and if I have any problems, I can switch it just as fast now that I have everything I need.

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Might be a good idea not to destroy the old o-ring, if it isn't already. If you didn't buy 2 or more, it's a good "backup" if you lose the new one or something.

7.jpg

8.jpg

Make sure you have a magnetized thing picker upper! Saved my ass here, when I thought I was a hot shot and didn't plug the hole.
9.jpg

10.jpg

I have no idea how the system bleeds itself, so in order to avoid bubbles and what not, I poured the power steering fluid in very slowly, then before putting in the filter, I soaked it in power steering fluid, then I put it in.

So, I'll give it a week or so and see if my car decides to get off it's year long period.

·
Registered
97 SL500, 98 E320 Wagon, 2002 ML500 - former W108/W112/W114/W123/W124/W126/W140/W220
6,271 Posts
I need to do this on my W140 - I have one question:

Does the hose fitting on the bottom of the reservoir thread out the top? In other words, can you back it out and remove it, install the new hose, then screw it in from above?

Thanks,

Dan

·
Registered
1991 500SL
308 Posts
I need to do this on my W140 - I have one question:

Does the hose fitting on the bottom of the reservoir thread out the top? In other words, can you back it out and remove it, install the new hose, then screw it in from above?

Thanks,

Dan
Exactly, it backs out the top.

Do your best to siphon all fluid out of the hose first, otherwise it could be a mess once u pull the hose off. I used really small clear tubing which went all the way to the fitting in the pump, so my hose was virtually empty once I pulled it off.

·
Registered
97 SL500, 98 E320 Wagon, 2002 ML500 - former W108/W112/W114/W123/W124/W126/W140/W220
6,271 Posts
Exactly, it backs out the top.

Do your best to siphon all fluid out of the hose first, otherwise it could be a mess once u pull the hose off. I used really small clear tubing which went all the way to the fitting in the pump, so my hose was virtually empty once I pulled it off.
Excellent. That's what I assumed based on the description and pictures, but I wanted to be sure.

I have to do this on my W140 and I was really dreading it until I found out the reservoir could be removed along with the little pipe….

Thanks!

Dan

·
Registered
w124 400E x R129 w210
429 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts