Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
SLK350 on order
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Title says it all. My passenger side drivers mirror has a broken turn signal lens as
a result of someone hitting me. Does anyone has instructions on how
to replace the lens ?

thanks

Simon

·
Registered
SLK 230 & SLK350 and Jaguar XF PL
568 Posts
If you do a search "indicator lens" it will throw up some info, when mine cracked I took it to the dealer and he replaced it for free took about 15 mins, its tricky to do it yourself and you might end up cracking it again when tightening the screws. They replace many of these on all MB models.

gary

·
Registered
SLK350 on order
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Gary - I'll do that search.

I've been to my dealer, but since the damage is the result of an accident they want to charge me for labour at £90+vat per hour and have said that it'll take nearly an hour !

·
Registered
ML320CDI and ML320 CDI
126 Posts
I have done this myself. Very easy of the mirror glass is broken. Else you probably will break it as you extract it. Basically remove the three screws that hold the disc the mirror glass clips into and then disconnect the plug. Then simply diconnect he couple of screws that hold the mirror housing to the iinternal metal "bracket" in the casing. Once this is done you can giggle off the cover and disconnect the indicator wiring then remove the unit.

As the Haynes manual says "refit is the reverse".

It sounds complicted but it isn't. Took me twenty minutes with no instructions. Just work logically around the screws. It can be a bit fiddly to get the housing back on as it goes on at a slight angle (outside lower than the door side) to slide over the bracket but keep giggling and it will go back on. Tell the garage to poke that labour charge. Why not try a local body shop if you are not confident as they probably do this sort of thing alot of the time on accident rebuilds??

Let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
SLK350 on order
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks - I'm happy doing it, its just knowing where to start. I have already told my dealer what I think of them.....Especially as it had to go back to fix 3 electrical faults (under warantee) in the 1st 3 months of this year.

Are the screws standard phillips or pozi drive ?

Simon

·
Registered
SLK 230 & SLK350 and Jaguar XF PL
568 Posts
Go back and tell your dealer that as far as you are aware you are the only R171 owner that had to pay for his lens to be fixed, and anyway there must have been a flaw in it to have broken so easily. Tell them that for the price of the repair (parts about £20) you would have thought that your relations with them good will and all that, would have been worth more than that.

gary

·
Registered
SLK350 on order
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have already done that, to no avail, I just don't think it matters to them to be honest. I have already told them I will take my SLK to another dealer when it needs a service. All the dealers round here are part of the same group - often its down to the actual people you deal with.

S

·
Registered
2008 SLK55 AMG
837 Posts
I had moisture in the clear lens of the indicator light at the pasenger side (drivers's side for UK models). It was replaced by the dealer but they broke the mirror in the process and they have to replace the mirror and the clear lens. The car was one day old. All of this was under warranty.

Be careful as even the service technician at MB broke the mirror. I just don't want you to break the mirror while trying to replace a cracked or broken clear lens.

As BFGMercMan suggested, a good and honest body shop place can do it probably for less and just as well. Good Luck.

·
Registered
SLK350 on order
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for your concern - the mirror is already broken from the accident, so i'll be replacing that as well

·
Registered
ML320CDI and ML320 CDI
126 Posts
For your info the parts cost me €22 for the indicator and €55 for the mirror glass (without tax) from my Merc dealer. If I remember the screws that hold the mirror bit are Torx and the indicator are posi drives. That said using although I have all the right tools I used a flat blade electical screw driver and it slotted in all the screw heads with no dramas.

·
Registered
SLK350 on order
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all your help - replaced the indicator and mirror on Saturday
morning. Took 20 minutes...... I can't believe my dealer wanted to charge for
an hours work.

S

·
Registered
ML320CDI and ML320 CDI
126 Posts
I am not surprised. Used to be that out here in Germany, the dealer charged 3 hours labour for changing the headlights to LHD units from RHD on all Mercs. I did mine in 35 mins (droping the bumper off and undoing both units replacement etc). Of course it now takes 30 secs each side with the switchable projector type units, but they still charge for half an hour....

Sad to see we were not the only ones being ripped off.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts