Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had 17' Pilots when I bought the car, replaced when needed with 17' Potenza RE730's and now have 18' AMG Monoblocks wrapped with Kuhmo Ecsta's. Believe it or not the Kuhmo's handle just as well or better then the previous two (maybe due to larger size), are quieter than both (amazing) and ride smoother over bumps (amazing) AND they seem to be wearing better after 15,000 miles than both. Do check out www.tirerack.com and check out the reviews for the Ecsta's you won't regret it.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll let you know for sure on those two in a few days, since the Potenzas should be arriving in one to two days. Upsided one size to 225x40x18 front, 255x35x18 rear.<br>
<br>
I WILL say that I had the original Pilots on the C43 and just COULD NOT hate them more. I even put the car into a curb creating $4000 suspension damage with only a few thousand miles on the car once because they plowed so bad. Though the 'torque-steer' is 'fun' some times, you don't want it at the expense of safty [and damage!].<br>
<br>
I CAN readily say at this time that even the Bridgeston LM-22 SNOW tires are better than the [old] Pilots in wet weather, and almost always in dry weather [not as good latteral grip that you need going around a cloverleaf]. Those tires really surprised me, and are much MUCH better than I had imagined. Though they ARE snow tires so really REALLY noisy and give a rough ride. I never thought I could drive my car in the winter until I bought those tires.<br>
<br>
I have high hopes for the Potenzas. I will let you know.<br>
<br>
Steve Mato

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just exchanged the stock Pilots (MXX3) after 32.000 miles with a new set of Pilot Sports with the new tread pattern. What a change! Much better traction and handling AND lower road noise. However, they came with a hefty price $900 installed. Wouldn't want to try the Potenza's or other brands for this type of cars. They deserve the best!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll have to go back and try the new pilots next time then. As I said, when you plow right into a curb, making $4000 damage (that you pay out of your own pocket) because your tires don't want to grab the asphalt, you kinda get a little jaded.<br>
:)<br>
<br>
Folks, still too soon for me to provide a true and honest assessment of the SO-3's, but now that I've almost completely broken them in, dropped the air pressure to 40psi, with the next step down to 35 where it'll stay, I can already see how nice these will be. Driving the 'hot turns' I'm used to driving, at the speed I'm used to driving them at to make me consider them 'hot', are basically boring and uneventful with the SO-3's already. I have to find their limits.<br>
<br>
I'm curious how many miles I'll get out of them though. Hawkcarl, was that 32,000 miles on the ORIGINAL tires? Wow! I'll buy the C43 used from YOU! I was through my original Pilots in 15,000 miles! The rears were almost SLICKS! <br>
<br>
(also, I believe you may wish to do a little research. The Potenza SO-3 Pole Positions are arguable one of the very best 'ultra performance' tires on the road today - equal if not better than the Pilots - i.e. 'arguably' the best.)<br>

1 - 8 of 8 Posts