Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2009 C350
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came across some youtube videos of C300 and C350 with their stock resonator replaced with a X-Pipe from an exhaust shop. They were saying that it's a cheap alternative to getting a better sounding exhaust instead of buying an expensive exhaust system. Anyone here have done this mod? It sounds pretty aggressive with a nice tone of rasp to it. I have a 09' C350 and looking to make my exhaust a bit louder.

Here's the link to a C350 with this mod.

·
Registered
'08 Mercedes Benz C300 Sport
116 Posts
Yup I had it done on mine:thumbsup:

Any decent muffler shop can do this mod in 30-45 minutes. I paid $45 for labor. They just have to take out the stock resonator, weld the x-pipe and add additional piping since the x-pipe is not long enough.

I got my Magnaflow x-pipe from Amazon with free shipping:thumbsup:

Here's the link: Amazon.com: MagnaFlow 10790 Tru - X Stainless Steel 2.25" Exhaust Pipe: Automotive

Make sure you order the 2.25 inch diameter because it also comes in 2.5 inch diameter.

·
Registered
2009 C350
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. and the link! I was also wondering about how this would affect the warranty. so the size of the pipe is the same for C300 and C350? how do you like the sound? does it have any drone at high speeds?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Thanks for the info. and the link! I was also wondering about how this would affect the warranty. so the size of the pipe is the same for C300 and C350? how do you like the sound? does it have any drone at high speeds?
It won't void warranty... As long as you don't touch the catalytic converter, anything you do after the cats won't void your warranty

Yup same size... 2.25 inch diameter

Sound wise, you won't notice any change in tone with normal cruising speed or below 3,500 PRM... But once you accelerate and pass the 3,500-4,000 RPM mark you will hear a nice aggressive roar:whipped:

Make sure you keep the stock resonator after they take it out... Expect to pay around $50-100 for labor charges, anything more than that is a rip off unless they're the ones who will provide the x-pipe:thumbsup:

·
Registered
254 Posts
Much has been written about this mod. Anyone have dyno data to back up performance "claims"? Header and exhaust tuning is as much art as science (Abarth) and one wonders if the X-Pipe actually improves the exhaust extraction process, since now both exhaust headers discharge into a common chamber, which can cause resonance interference and blockage. Better sound, sure, but better performance?

·
Registered
08 C350 Sport, Mars Red. 04 330i ZHP
34 Posts
The resonator you replace with the X-Pipe is already an X-Pipe itself. You are just gaining some sound, no performance. I did it on my wife's 350 and I do like the sound it adds. Reminds me some of her prior 350Z a little. Rips a little.

·
Registered
116 Posts
wouldn't there be some problems with leaking since it's welded on?
leaking? you mean exhaust emission might escape?

As long it's welded properly it'll be fine... Just make sure the ends that their welding together are rust free and of the same size:thumbsup:

·
Registered
10 Posts
hey.. i have c300.. i started out removing resonator and straight piping to mufflers.. to quiet.. then i remove mufflers.. to loud.. sounds redneckish. i took it back and left mufflers off and put stock resonator on.. woooowwww.. it sounds amazing.. no raspyness. or muffle sound.. sounds awesome.. highly recommend it...

·
Registered
7 Posts
guys i have an xpipe on my C300 but i feel vibration on the freeway wen i push the pedal it starts vibrating.anyone knows why whats wrong? if i take it to dealer will they check or no cause i have the x pipe

·
Registered
19 Posts
what I did on mine is that I replace only the 2 small resonators with a small x pipe, not the main one and I aded obex headers, I gained more horse power and it sounds great when you replace the main one you could get a raspy sound and vibrations.

·
Registered
1995 SL500, 1995 S500, 2002 C320, 2007 GL450, 2008 C350, 2009 E350
2 Posts
Hey, does anyone still have their stock resonator?! w204 c350

·
Registered
08 C300
300 Posts
Reactions: kmartinjr

·
Registered
1995 SL500, 1995 S500, 2002 C320, 2007 GL450, 2008 C350, 2009 E350
2 Posts
Haha ,I Just got a 08 c350 for my sister, problem is she thinks it sounds like a race car because of the x pipe ( sounds great to me). I was wondering if I could buy it off of you???

1 - 16 of 16 Posts