Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
300TD Turbo Diesel
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELP!!! I can't get to the starter to replace it in my 81 300 TD. The sad thing is I've had two professional mechanics say they can't get it out either. Is there a special tool to get the top allen bolt out? How do we get it out?

·
Registered
Mercedes Diesels
145 Posts
A trick to getting it out is with a walmart triple flex socket wrench.It has three flex co...

A trick to getting it out is with a walmart triple flex socket wrench.It has three flex couplings and works around immpossible angles and places. Around 12 dollars, some of the best money I have ever spent. I like to get it from reaching up from under the car. Just put the 3/8 10mm
hex socket in it. It is still like delivering a baby to get the starter out when there is a turbo even after the 2 Hex bolts are out.
John Gregg

·
Registered
84 230CE & 84 300DT
324 Posts
I doubt very much that those mechanics were professionals. A true professional will have e...

I doubt very much that those mechanics were professionals. A true professional will have every tool necessary to "professionally complete a job."
You shouldn't even trust those guys to fix a bicycle.

·
Registered
85 300GD LWB
501 Posts
Can you say Loooong extension??? You can get at the bolt with an extention that puts you a...

Can you say Loooong extension??? You can get at the bolt with an extention that puts you about as far back as the transmission with the ratchet handle. The bolt is nothing more than a socket cap screw and so all you need the proper 10mm allen key type socket to get it out. Take your time, look at everything and you should be able to figure it out.

As for the mechanics who could not do it, well.... I won't repeat what was said earlier.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.