Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
w163 03 ML500, R129 SL500, 98 w210 E300TD
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be a silly idea/question but, I am considering replacing my 2003 ML500’s standard suspension with AMG suspension from the 55. Would this be possible without any further modification? If so what befits and drawbacks would it have.

·
W163 and General Mercedes Host
3,270 Posts
This may be a silly idea/question but, I am considering replacing my 2003 ML500’s standard suspension with AMG suspension from the 55. Would this be possible without any further modification? If so what befits and drawbacks would it have.
Welcome WB163,

Please update your user cp info.
click on your icon----> click on Account Settings---->
goto Account Details----> add vehicle details---->
ADD your make model YEAR ----> click save

Not a silly Q. This topic has been discussed to death.

There are plenty of threads, old and recent, on this topic of yours or lowering, better suspension, polyU bushings etc, that you can search for. Highly recommended.

All w163 front suspension consists of the same torsion bar; So the only change you can make up front, is to your existing shocks and adjust the torsion bar to lower ~ 1/2-3/4" to equal the ride height of the ML55. any lower and you'll regret it.
For the rear, all w163s use the same strut setup. ML55s have slightly lower stance due to possibly the coil spring rate and shocks used in that setup. The ML55 setup is also stiffer.
Note: any oem rear strut replacement from the stealership is not cheap either. You can go to a local PnP to find your ML55 struts. A few of the other good members can chime in on these situations and may even be able to assist you too. The other option is to go with custom coilovers (a few of us on the forum here have done this) using existing oem strut components and choosing your springs and shocks. There are threads on these specifics also.
Swaybars - I think your 03 ML55 setup may already have the ML55 sized swaybar up front and possibly the rear too.
As well, the front brake calipers should be the same size as the ML55s.
Personally, I have kept my oem swaybars in place as they are the same as the ML55s. Also, did not wish to spend the $$$ on the H&R sways (beefier than the ML55s)

One key point to remember - this is a 20+ year old (17+ in your case) suv /truck ladder frame. It's still a truck, so dont expect it to be any sedan canyon carver that many past members dreamed of, by lowering, firming up their rides. Many have regretted their lower stance rides with bigger wheels. Unless of course, you want free diy dental work to self-remove a few loose teeth on the city streets. Freeway driving is another matter.

Reactions: WB163
1 - 2 of 2 Posts