Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My driver's side seat belt extender guide (the triangular plastic thing) eventually wore through. Purchased a replacement, unbolted the belt at the floor, removed the old one, slipped on the new one and all is fine, almost.

There's a cover that clips on at the base of the belt that goes over the bolt in the floor. Inside that cover is a fitting for the bolt head and that is housed inside a circular spring. The idea is that when the belt is released the spring tension makes the cover return flat to the floor so that the belt then runs along the floor towards the rear and then up the back seat below the rear window. This keeps the belt clear for people getting into the back seat.

My issue is I can't seem to get any tension on the spring before I clip it in place, which means the belt remains upright from the floor after use. Does anybody have any experience with this and any advice?

Pottering

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yes, I recently carried out this repair too. Can't look it up in the manual at the moment so you'll have to trust my memory.

The flat plastic cover comes apart giving you an 'outer' (ornamental) and 'inner' (containing all the workings) cover. Pull them apart.
You need to use a large hex to put some tension on the spring (I think it was only half a turn so pretty easy.) On the outside of the 'inner' plastic cover there are 2 small holes, push a pin through each of the holes. These then engage with the plastic teeth of the spring center, holding the spring tension once the hex key is removed.
Carefully (you may need a couple of attempts, this is a very low tech solution to the absence of the Mercedes special tool) offer the assembly up to the anchor on the car chassis. Tighten the bolt and pull out the two pins. The spring tension should pull the assembly down and backwards towards the floor.
If all gone well snap on the 'outer' cover.

Have fun.

Mark

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks BarkyMarky, I'll give that a try, though needlepoint was never my specialty. Will let you know how I get on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Pottering!

I just ordered a new triangular plastic guide for my '92 300CE. Can I just replace the triangular part or do I need to replace the entire arm?

Thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts