Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Premium Member
1987 Porsche 911 Carrera coupe, 1989 BMW 325i, 2001 BMW R1150GS, [SOLD - 1991 Mercedes Benz 350 SDL]
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering buying a car now ('91 SDL 350) which needs to have the rear window regulators replaced. I've heard the OE part is $300 for each window. I am trying to determine the cost of the repair as I consider what the car might be worth.

How much time should this take a Mercedes shop to repair both windows and is this an easy DIY job?

Do these regulators fail often?

Thanks.

· Registered
85 300SD, 82 euro 500 SEC, 78 450SL
354 Posts
Are you sure that it's the regulators? Usually it's just the plastic slider that's broken (were about $5 ea last time I changed any). Either way the regulator has to come out. It's just 3 bolts IIRC after taking the door card off. How easy is determined by how good a DIYer you are. I have put in used regulators that I paid ~$50 ea for and that was about 4 years ago, still working. Never been to a dealer or shop so I have no info on prices.

· Registered
1993 300TE, 1995 E320 Wagon
1,895 Posts
In my experience, regulators rarely fail-- it's the plastic slide that does. The metal gears can wear, but the motors are pretty damn solid. The thing is, it's often easier to replace the whole thing, rather than just the slide, which is riveted in. Getting the rivet out and reattaching the slide is cheap because the part is about $5, but it's not a plug-n-play item. In any case, you have to remove and reinstall the regulator, which takes about half an hour to an hour or so. There are some tricks to it, and the rear regulator is trickier than the front ones because you have to remove and replace the wiring at the switch.

Regulators at a junkyard here in So. Cal run about $25-$35, sometimes cheaper. They are also pretty common, so if anyone needs one, get in touch with one of the JY regulars (like myself, KodiakJ2, Mclare, Chadahar, Dr. Grillz, etc).

To have a shop do the job on both rear doors would be pretty spendy-- probably running a minimum of $500. You can make your own assessment of the cost and your ability to complete the job, but it isn't a huge deal.

· Premium Member
1986 420SEL/1995 E300D/4 BMW’s/2 Vanagon’s
1,026 Posts
Just for the record, you can do the sliding jaw in the rear without removing the regulator, see my method in the DIY section. Been two years since I did mine and I use my windows all the time. Probably took me less than an hour.

· Premium Member
1987 Porsche 911 Carrera coupe, 1989 BMW 325i, 2001 BMW R1150GS, [SOLD - 1991 Mercedes Benz 350 SDL]
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi All,

Thanks for the quick replies. Your feedback is very helpful in estimating the potential cost of the repair done DYI or at a shop.

· Registered
'82 Euro 500SEL, '85 Euro 500SEC AMG WB Cabriolet,'86 Euro 500SEC RUF
9,528 Posts
I would be more leery of the engine in that car,than the windows. You need to find out if the engine has been replaced, the 350 engine is a rod bender. The early ones were trash and bent rods regularly. However IF MB has replaced the engine, or there has never has any trouble, then you might be OK but service records on this car is imperative. The windows are small potatoes compared with the potential engine problems.

That said I have a friend that has a 350SDL and it is a wonderful car and he has had no problems with it at all.

· Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would be more leery of the engine in that car,than the windows. You need to find out if the engine has been replaced, the 350 engine is a rod bender. The early ones were trash and bent rods regularly. However IF MB has replaced the engine, or there has never has any trouble, then you might be OK but service records on this car is imperative. The windows are small potatoes compared with the potential engine problems.

That said I have a friend that has a 350SDL and it is a wonderful car and he has had no problems with it at all.
Chadahar: Thanks for the warning about the OM603 3.5 history of engine issues. I'm aware of them. :) I've already done a PPI and am negotiating an offer. The rear window repair was one of the items that will need to be sorted out if the owner accepts my offer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.