Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
R129 SL 500 97, W124 E320 Coupé 96, W124 300E twin turbo 90, W126 300 SE 91, Ford Capri 2.8i 84
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought some rear springs off e-Bay a while ago in anticipation of a future need. Drove out yesterday and heard from the rear several new clunks and at least one "boyng", so I'm guessing one of the springs is shot.

Checking around the Web, I found this:

[MBZ] w126 rear springs question -- followup

to which both respondents suggest no compressor is needed, specifically on the rears.

Can anyone else confirm that replacement of the rear springs can be done safely without a compressor? My mechanic, who has certainly replaced springs on at least one W124, thinks not. I've checked on compressor prices, only to find that the Klann KL0021-K is $250 more expensive than MB's own special tools for the job, which are about $800 in total.

·
Registered
1993 300TE, 1995 E320 Wagon
1,895 Posts
It would seem that this is much more work that necessary to remove the springs, unless you also wanted to replace the rear subframe bushings (and maybe a brake job/caliper replacement to boot) at the same time. On the other hand, I haven't done this job myself (yet), but I was going to rent a compressor to do it.

Around here, you can rent a spring compressor from the local McParts store (Pep Boys, Autozone, etc.) for about $45. Granted you may end up with a dangerous POS tool that has been abused, but I doubt it.

After all that, it doesn't look to me as though this is a BAD way to replace the springs, and IIRC the author (whunter) is a knowledgeable resource.

Best-

Dave

1 - 2 of 2 Posts