Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2000 ML430
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What up..quick newbie question..

I want to replace my rear brake pads for the first time. I have a 2000 ml430. The calipers on the ml430 are fixed so there is no need to remove the calipers to replace the pads. Will i still need a clamp to clamp to pistons down?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1990 190E 2.6,.... 1998 ML320, 2005 ML500SE
3,094 Posts
No, not if you do it right and replace one pad at a time. I just did mine 2 months ago. You do need to follow all common procedures & cautions like keeping an eye on the brake fluid reservoir. I found that by replacing one pad at a time you are only pushing one cylinder back at a time and the other pad is holding the other piston in place.
Mike

·
Registered
2000 ML430
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok so will it be as easy as taking off the wheel and unscrewing the pads and just slipping the new ones in one at a time?

·
Registered
1990 190E 2.6,.... 1998 ML320, 2005 ML500SE
3,094 Posts
Almost. You still need to deal with the shims, cleaning, replacing and putting on the anti squeal paste per Mercedes specifications. You should also check the Disc thickness to insure it is not worn beyond safe limits and is in good condition. But having said that it is still a relatively easy job. Be Safe, use jack stands. The hardest part may be taking the wheels off.
Sorry, I don't have access to the instructions at this time.
Mike

·
Registered
2000 ML430
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I took one of the pads out from the rear caliper but i am having issues replacing it with the new pad due to the fact that the new pad is so much thicker. Any suggestions on forcing the piston back because forcing it by using a screwdriver as a lever does not seem to be working...

Thanks

·
Registered
2000 ML430
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All done... took me around one hour to do the right side and ten minutes to do the left once i figured it out..

Thanks for helping a newbie!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts