Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1988 Mercedes 500 sec
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Diff is out of the car is it possible to change the pinion seal at the front if so what size 12 point socket do I need nd how do i stop the diff from turning whilst i try to undo the nut

I have had a search and there seem to be varying opinions whether you should tighten the 12 point nut back up by hand or need to set the preload agaoin

If I just tighten the 12 point nut should it be done by hand or to 120 to 145nm, this is figure I found on another post

·
Registered
1991 560sec. 1969 280SL
1,077 Posts
I think you’re going to need preload on the pinion bearing but beware on any differential I’ve worked on always had a collapsible sleeve In the housing past the flange, make sure you you mark the position of the retaining nut relative to the housing. Upon reassembly line up the marks and go a smidge past the original or you can count the turns when disassembling.

·
Premium Member
1991 560SEC
2,649 Posts
Diff is out of the car is it possible to change the pinion seal at the front if so what size 12 point socket do I need nd how do i stop the diff from turning whilst i try to undo the nut

I have had a search and there seem to be varying opinions whether you should tighten the 12 point nut back up by hand or need to set the preload agaoin

If I just tighten the 12 point nut should it be done by hand or to 120 to 145nm, this is figure I found on another post
As I mentioned to you in a different forum (where you go by merc1000), you NEED to read the appropriate FRM sections, not just assume you know or ask others to do it for you. How do I know you did not read section 35-530? Simple: the size of the socket is there, page 707.

Attachments

·
Registered
1988 Mercedes 500 sec
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
if preload is needed I best leave it alone, there seems to be a difference in opinion as to whether ppreload is needed or not
I spoke to a mercedes mechanic today who use to work on the w126 he said we would remove the nut, new seal and nip up the nut but never played with preload as not needed if changing just the seal

·
Registered
1988 Mercedes 500 sec
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Decided to remove the seal, in the mannual it states
" to always change thrust washer 42a for prevention of load change knocking, if present, what is load change knocking and is the thrust washer different to the crush washer

1 - 5 of 5 Posts