Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
ML320
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '95 E280 estate with twin airbags; I kind of prefer the glovebox like I had on my old 300TE-24.

I already have experience of removing and replacing the airbag; If I could find the right parts, would it be possible to put a glovebox in there? I understand the SRS light would probably be permanently on.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I'd wager there's a way around the SRS light being lit, permanently. It's likely a resistance kinda thing.

I really, really miss the glovebox, even though it was small. Sure, the center console thing is lockable, but man, it barely holds a hard case for sunglasses, a very small & thin calculator, a box of fuses, and some other minor stuff. Even then, getting any one item requires digging and everything must be oriented just so for the top to slide closed....

I want to say the dashboard is actually slightly different in shape for the cars with the passenger SRS. Plus, the opening isn't likely to match between the SRS's launching pad and a glovebox's cutout...ugh...I feel a nightmare coming on.

As it is, I've taken to keeping what little valuable stuff (GPS/V1) I use in the car, exclusively, and storing them in a cargo net (which I kept from a vehicle 4 vehicles ago) in the trunk, hooked to the mounting points for the decklid springs. I have the cargo net back there just to keep stuff from roaming about the trunk.

This partially eliminates the need for a glovebox, though I'd not likely keep the V1 in the car, anyway. The trunk, locked separately, is about the safest place I can think of, save for a safe. I did keep it in the 126 occasionally, but there were times I'd go out and get it, just because I'm paranoid about having the best radar detector in the world, stolen. I 'lost' a first-gen Passport that way, and I'll never forget it. That was like two weeks worth of paychecks, at the time.

Now that I have an in-dash CD player which will play MP3's, I no longer need to cart around a 60 CD case, either, which I was concerned might attract attention from those doing late-night 'window shopping. I ripped half of my collection to a drive I use for backups and huge files, and then burned the songs I wanted. It's nice to have 100-115 songs on a CD, no changer necessary. Plus, the CD which has only a couple of song you like on it? Well, you'll hear those songs more often if they're with a slew of others you like...

·
Registered
1977 230, 1990 300E 2.6
243 Posts
The lower dash panel on the right side is different on cars with the passenger air bag. The panel has a slightly smaller opening (top to bottom) than with the glove box door. If you find that panel from an earlier 124, you should be able to make the switch.

Actually, I want to go in the opposite direction on my '90. If you do make the change and don't want the internal parts which secure the air bag in place - long bolt and other pieces which allow the bag to be mounted - I would be interested in them. PM me if you so decide.
Thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts