Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could someone kindly describe the correct procedure for replacing the parking brake shoes on an '86 420 SEL? Thank you.

·
Registered
1985 300SD
831 Posts
I am assuming the parking brake mechanism is the same as a 300SD. It is kind of hard to explain step by step but if you have ever replaced brake shoes on a car it is the same setup. The parking brake is a drum type brake located inside the rear rotor. Take off the back wheel, caliper and rotor to gain access.

·
Registered
1984 280SEL AMG
701 Posts
Unless you have 4 wheel disk brakes.. Then it's just like changing the front disk brakes... If it's drum brakes, take both rear wheels off, remove both drums, then use one as a guide while you do the other. Send Drums/rotors out for turning, that way you start fresh.

P.S. your parking brakes are a part of your reguler braking system, since it uses the same parts as your brakes ( stepping on the brake peddle ) it uses a cable to move the brake shoes ( in drum systems )/Pads ( in disk brake systems )... Sorry I can't give all the steps in order.. I just know how to do it thrugh expereance ( and doing brakes in about a 1000+ cars in my lifetime )

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
TheRazz - 4/26/2005 10:29 PM

P.S. your parking brakes are a part of your reguler braking system, since it uses the same parts as your brakes ( stepping on the brake peddle ) it uses a cable to move the brake shoes ( in drum systems )/Pads ( in disk brake systems )... Sorry I can't give all the steps in order.. I just know how to do it thrugh expereance ( and doing brakes in about a 1000+ cars in my lifetime )
Actually, there are 2 sets of drums on the rear of all our brake systems that serves as the emergency brake. They are actuated via a cable that's adjustable, as is the resting position for the parking brake shoes.

Going in to detail on how to change the parking brake shoes would be a fairly large undertaking. Do you have the factory service manual? It goes into detail on how this job is done. There is also a special tool that's used to all drum arrangements. It's quite handy for removing/re-installing the requisite springs. Napa would have it, it's a long plier looking affair.

Anywho, let me know about the manual.

Jonathan

·
Registered
1985 300SD
831 Posts
TheRazz - 4/26/2005 10:29 PM

Unless you have 4 wheel disk brakes.. Then it's just like changing the front disk brakes... If it's drum brakes, take both rear wheels off, remove both drums, then use one as a guide while you do the other. Send Drums/rotors out for turning, that way you start fresh.

The parking brake is not really a part of the regular braking system. The parking brakes on our cars are actually a drum brake system located INSIDE the rear rotors.

·
Registered
1984 280SEL AMG
701 Posts
I haven't had my rear tires off yet to look. I have 4 wheel disk. I kinda figured it to be like a Hummer H1 style of parking brakes ( military mechanic ). The Hummer H1 Military has a disk brake system with a manual cabe that pushes a manual piston into the disk brake pads when the parking brake handle is pulled.. If I'm wrong Sorry for the missinformation, and thank you for setting me right.

·
AMG Forums Moderator
SLK55 (2006) C36 (1995)
3,288 Posts
you work on hummers/humvees? must make a lot money and keep very busy eh? hahahaha

·
Registered
1984 280SEL AMG
701 Posts
I worked on them in the Army. Can't do civi mechanic jobs. Why you ask? About 10 years ago a momentary laps of LAZYNESS lost me 50K in tools[B)]. I was never able to recupe after the loss, no tools no job, no job no tools... [V] I have a mixed batch now, but not enuff to get a job with...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the reply. No, unfortunately I don't have the factory manual. I have pulled the rear rotor and so am familiar with the general layout of things. There doesn't appear to be a great deal of room behind the hub to get in there and it's difficult to see in there. Does the hub have to first be removed? Almost at the very bottom there appears to be two allen head bolts (one on each side). I have already removed the star gear adjuster which was fairly easy to remove but now what? I could remove the top spring which hooks between the two shoes but I am asking myself "How in the world would I be able to hook it back in place". There is almost no clearance between the backing plate and where the spring goes. I have replaced shoes before on different vehicles so I am familiar with the general setup of things but always had considerably more room to work with. What I am really looking for are any tips or tricks which make the job go smoother or any specialized tools that are needed.

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
I mentioned the tool you need in my last post. Go to Napa, tell them you are doing work on brake drums/shows and you need the plier shaped affair w/ all the hooks etc that make this job Much easier. There are no real tricks, and yes you do have to take that spring off.

Check your email.

Jonathan

·
Registered
14 Posts
This may be a bit late, but if you obtain a Haynes workshop manual (677) for the MB 250&280 series it gives all the neccessary info. The MB 250&280 series shares many components with the 126 series.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts