Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1998 ML320
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a newbie so please don't be too hard on me :surrender:

I'm thinking of changing my original Bose cassette player in my ML320 model 1998. Is changing the radio/cassette player any different in these cars than other vehicles? The last time I changed a CD player in a car was in an Volkswagen Golf and it was easy as hell, just unplug and remove and then plug another one in.

I've been searching on google on the subject and I seem to find a lot of information about wiring and stuff like that for the Mercedes ML320. Can't I just go out and buy a CD/MP3 player with the same sockets as the original Bose radio/cassette player?

·
Registered
2005 SLK55 AMG
253 Posts
I did this a while ago on my 1999. You'll need the harness adapter available at most car audio stores and a level matching device ( Car Stereo Output Converter ) between the radio & the amp otherwise the radio output could overdrive the builtin amp. If you have a cassette player in the back you won't be able to use it after you put in a new radio,so remove any CDs now. I replaced my stock radio/cassette with a cheap Dual radio that has CD/mp3/wma & sdchip and Ipod/Iphone integration which I really enjoy.

Make sure you have your radio code!! You'll need that if you want to put it back or sell it.The code is found in the owners manual.

·
Registered
1999 ML 430
394 Posts
It's a piece of cake with the pre-fiber optic system.

Just had a Kenwood 350 put in my '99 with a Bose; one hour, plug in install with the Crutchfield $65 install deal. Just wanted a more modern system and didn't mind giving up the 5-CD changer, never used it anyway. Large areas in Alaska have no radio coverage, so a plug in the front iPod adapter and in more urban areas an adapter for a smart phone is really nice.

It's not hard to do a changeover to a double DIN system, but you need to be pretty handy yourself or have it all worked out with your supplier/installer.

Later ones can be more complicated.

·
Registered
2005 SLK55 AMG
253 Posts
I've considered a double DIN but I like the small storage compartment below the
radio. I'm considering a single DIN with the motorized screen but not until next year.I like the cheap Dual that I use and you can get an upgraded unit that stows the ipod/iphone at the deck.The deck has a builtin holder.

·
Registered
1998 ML320
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did this a while ago on my 1999. You'll need the harness adapter available at most car audio stores and a level matching device ( Car Stereo Output Converter ) between the radio & the amp otherwise the radio output could overdrive the builtin amp. If you have a cassette player in the back you won't be able to use it after you put in a new radio,so remove any CDs now. I replaced my stock radio/cassette with a cheap Dual radio that has CD/mp3/wma & sdchip and Ipod/Iphone integration which I really enjoy.

Make sure you have your radio code!! You'll need that if you want to put it back or sell it.The code is found in the owners manual.
Can I find the manual online or do I need to buy it?

·
Registered
2005 SLK55 AMG
253 Posts
The radio code is in the original owners manual when the car was new. It's possible the code is written on the radio if you remove it or even inside the glove box . I also think the dealer can provide the code if you bring the ML into him.I'm not sure if they'll charge for that.

If you remove power from the radio without knowing the code you won't be able to use the OEM radio.

GL

1 - 6 of 6 Posts