Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

After all the hussale with MCS not picking up the Satellite. The dealer spent 5 hours at least to diagnose and found nothing wrong except the unit which is not under warrantee anymore. I decide to go for Pioneer F900/90BT, yet I have some questions and hope you guys can help me out here.

My 03 ML350 doesn't come with Bose audio system, does that mean that mine is not fiber-optics? A technician said that he needs to take a look at my car to see if its fiber-optics or not coz if not, it won't be able to be installed. Anyone there who've modifiend their MCS, please help me out here. Thank you.

cheers!!

·
Registered
421 Posts
I too am upgrading the the AVIC F90bt (Installing it Tuesday) I am upgrading from the AVIC-D3..

I wasnt aware that the W163 DIDNt come with bose on the later models. You will have to get behind the MCS to see if their are fiber optics or not. Mine had the bose (and fiber optics) and I was able to bypass the factory AMP, add a 5 channel amp and I was all set to go.

I wish I could help, but I dont know off the top of my head if a NON bose system is fiber optic or not..

I will do some checking.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I too am upgrading the the AVIC F90bt (Installing it Tuesday) I am upgrading from the AVIC-D3..

I wasnt aware that the W163 DIDNt come with bose on the later models. You will have to get behind the MCS to see if their are fiber optics or not. Mine had the bose (and fiber optics) and I was able to bypass the factory AMP, add a 5 channel amp and I was all set to go.

I wish I could help, but I dont know off the top of my head if a NON bose system is fiber optic or not..

I will do some checking.

OH!! Thank you sooo much!!!

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Hi Chris,
I got your pm, but I'll post here for everyone's benefit. The problem is that a fiberoptic line doesn't carry an electrical signal. The two fiber optic links are between the head unit and the CD changer, and the the head unit and the amplifier. If you do not have a fiberoptic system, then you are fine. I have the option to use your amplifier (or not). If you do have the f.o. system the amp and CD changer will be useless to you. From the amp output, you have to identify wires for each of the speakers and then use your F90BT to power... or you can add an aftermarket amp. Either way, don't listen to anyone who tells you that this can't be done.

I did not add an amp, as the AVIC Z1 was plenty powerful. I am considering adding one now for better bass and midrange. (PS... I just upgraded my Z1 to a Z3, added a larger hard drive and hacked the hell out of it. I'm really happy with it! This thing rocks!

·
Registered
421 Posts
yup updated with the new software might be 10secs faster

Crap! Mine shows up tomorrow and I thought the firmware was supposed to really help out.. 30 seconds is too long.

I hope they come out with a better update (they should as its windows CE based) to increase the boot time. How does the voice demand (for the songs) work? Well?

Thanks,

Joe

·
Registered
421 Posts
Hi Chris,
I got your pm, but I'll post here for everyone's benefit. The problem is that a fiberoptic line doesn't carry an electrical signal. The two fiber optic links are between the head unit and the CD changer, and the the head unit and the amplifier. If you do not have a fiberoptic system, then you are fine. I have the option to use your amplifier (or not). If you do have the f.o. system the amp and CD changer will be useless to you. From the amp output, you have to identify wires for each of the speakers and then use your F90BT to power... or you can add an aftermarket amp. Either way, don't listen to anyone who tells you that this can't be done.

I did not add an amp, as the AVIC Z1 was plenty powerful. I am considering adding one now for better bass and midrange. (PS... I just upgraded my Z1 to a Z3, added a larger hard drive and hacked the hell out of it. I'm really happy with it! This thing rocks!

Absolutly correct, even though the headunit can push the 2 ohm load, I thought it lacked the mid and bass (hence your reason for wanting to add the amp)

I should have went Z series..My F90 is showing up tomorrow and I hate load times.

How can we find out if a Non bose ML has fiber optics. If we can find out, we can walk him through step by step.

Thanks,

Joe

·
Registered
64 Posts
the f90bt has crazy features the the voice command works awesome with ipod but i mostly use a sd card..if you have a cd in there it will start playing in about 5 secs but the rest of system takes about 2 mins to load up for me
I upgraded all my speakers but i kept sub and added an amp sounds way better

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
How can we find out if a Non bose ML has fiber optics. If we can find out, we can walk him through step by step.
I would get that the easiest place to look would be the CD changer. If you have a fiberoptic line coming out of the rear, you have your answer. If not, you will see electrical wires.

The Z3 takes forever to load up also, but the radio, Ipod or CD will start playing immediately. Only the library or navigation makes you wait. I replaced the silly pioneer copyright loading image with something nice. Now I don't mind the long loading time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts