Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1985 380SL w 5OO SEL block, 2005 SL500, 2011 C300
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This car has a long block from an 84-85 500SEL with control components from a 380SL.(basically the same engine, I've learned) It appears I need to remove the airflow sensor and fuel distribution assembly to access the two remaining manifold bolts underneath them to remove the manifold.
This is my first foray into the Benz engine (I'm an old Chevy man) and want to know if there is a gasket I should plan to replace one I remove this fuel injection system.
I was also wondering if I''m opening up a hornet's nets of problems (for reasons I am not aware) by removing this assembly. It seems pretty straightforward but I've learned that nothing in life is 1-2-3.
My Benz mechanic (for my newer car)tipped me off that the fuel injectors remain attached to the lines and come out all at once and only the sleeves remain. That's pretty nifty. Hoping to get some more of these insights.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

·
Registered
420 Posts
and want to know if there is a gasket I should plan to replace one I remove this fuel injection system.
Yes, there are two of them: item 134 PN A1171412280 left and A1171412380 right.
There is a fair number of items that need removing before removing the manifold.
What is the cause to remove the intake manifold?.

Hope this helps

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Clarification to original post

I see that my post was a bit misleading. I was referring to any gaskets for the fuel injection assembly.
I have my manifold gaskets already. And thank you very much for going through the trouble of logging on to EPC Online and pasting the image and all. I have an account with EPC as well.
The reason for removing the manifold is that I have a vacuum leak that was detected during a smoke-test. I'm trying to button up this beast so I can pass smog here in California.
Already installed new fuel injector sleeves to close the leaks I had there.

·
Outstanding Contributor
450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500seAMG +250seStkW108 350sl4spdX3 500secEuro
22,011 Posts
Just to have my engine so much cleaner and to learn what I did, I'm glad I removed and replaced the intake manifold gaskets on my 1973, BUT that was an iron block. Remember that those bolts are in aluminum and you are going to have to be careful you don't cause any larger problems by twisting anything too hard. I don't have any advice on how to handle that. Hopefully others do.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Would someone know the correct pattern for replacing the intake manifold bolts as well as the correct torque? I believe it is 15 but would appreciate confirmation.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts