Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a problem with my 2003 C270 CDI's instrument cluster (a bad connectin somewhere at times where the display goes slightly dark, and then lights up again on the extreme left hand side of the multi function computer). Did find this problem mentioned somewhere on this forum.

My question is: If I purchase a second hand instrument cluster from a scrap dealer, if I take it to Merc, can they reset the mileage to match my current instrument cluster. Will it work?

Merc said each instrument cluster is locked, and they can't just dial in a mileage. Just wanted to get a second opinion...

·
Registered
Mercedes-Benz C270 CDI
4 Posts
In many other cars display can be corrected by dealer if it has less than 60 miles on it, but I don't know how excatly is in Mercedes. And a second thing is, that in many other cars, key recogition system is located in instument cluster, so you should check how is in Merc.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I asked for a 2nd opinion on this please from someone that might know!

This wouldn't be the first time I have been given duff gen just so that I end up having to buy a whole new cluster!

Useful comments only please!

·
Registered
2006 C230 (Black)
10 Posts
I would say that in this isolated case the dealership is being truthful, I've never heard of a facility being able to LEGALLY reset an odometer.

I realize that not doing so in your case creates a false and misleading account of vehicle mileage, but unfortunately this is one of those times where the blanket coverage of a particular law affects even those attempting an honest correction.

Ask your service manager if you purchased a brand new unit and had them install it, how much would that dealership offer on trade for your vehicle with ZERO miles on it ....my bet is that they'll tell you their service records (and your service booklet) will indicate an odometer correction factor.

·
Registered
2006 C230 (Black)
10 Posts
hmmmm ..according to this (other states are similar) there's a provision for situations where an odometer is set to "0" after an instrument cluster change:

Chapter 20 - Article 15

scr4oll down to 20‑346. Lawful service, repair, or replacement of odometer.

This would indicate that you should be able to find someone to zero it for you and provide the door sticker

·
Registered
2003 E320 Sport, 2001 C320, 2000 S500
4 Posts
I had the same problem with my C320 cluster LCD display going dark on the left side. I found a perfect used C32 cluster on ebay for next to nothing. Dealer up here in Seattle swore it could not be reset and that it was impossible. I called a local speedometer repair place and they said they could not zero out the mileage but they could remove the chip from my old cluster and solder it into the new cluster but the C32 cluster has a different size chip so I could not do that either. It might work for you if you have two with same size chips. I called all over and finally found this place in California called Palo Alto Speedometer. I shipped it to them, they set it to zero and sent it back. I took it back to my dealer and they had no problem setting the correct mileage on the new(used) speedometer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts