Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
'97 SL500, 06 Subaru Outback, LL Bean 3.0
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I can't find anything on this, probably because it's so simple (which is why I might be able to diy it):
As I was coming home after spending $150 at my indy for 2 bulb replacements, I noticed that the light switch illumination (bulb, I hope) on my '97 SL500 is out. Please tell me how to get to it. I'm afraid to try to just pry off the apparent cover (located just above the brake release).

·
Registered
Departed 1998 SL500 (and the Pano is in Bogota)
11,169 Posts
I think that switch just pulls straight out, held by friction.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I think that switch just pulls straight out, held by friction.
That's what I thought, but I pulled as hard as I could on the knob, without prying, and no luck. Also, you pull the knob out 1 notch for fog lights and 2 notches for the "storm" (or something) lights, and if it were just held on by friction it seems that it would always be coming off in older cars.
But if someone is dead certain and has done it I'll start prying.
It looks like the hole in the housing or panel behind the knob might be large enough so it could come off with the knob left on.
More help, please!

·
Registered
1998 SL500, Panoramic Roof, Factory Xenons, Black/Black/Black 2012 GLK350 Black/Beige
127 Posts
On my '98 the knob definitely pulls straight off (it is tighter than the detent for the fog light but pulls off - no tools needed). The bulb is exposed once the knob is removed. I don't know how to replace the bulb once it is exposed - please post how to change it after you complete the job....

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
MANY THANKS TO YOU & RKH!

On my '98 the knob definitely pulls straight off (it is tighter than the detent for the fog light but pulls off - no tools needed). The bulb is exposed once the knob is removed. I don't know how to replace the bulb once it is exposed - please post how to change it after you complete the job....
For a few minutes I couldn't believe anyone would say "after you complete the job" to me, but it was so inspiring I went out into the night and soldiered on, as they say.
Had to do a little prying, but it did come off. Then I was faced with a little tubular light pointed straight out toward me, which I guess just pulls out, maybe with a quarter turn one way or the other. I left it in 'cause it's for the little red light that lights up when you pull the knob out, and that's (or was) still working. Behind that was a giant nut. Just happened to have a giant socket wrench on the floor board to be used for peaceful purposes to hopefully discourage terrorists, blackguards (British for "thugs") and the like before resorting to the P232 in my pocket.
I removed the nut and a small cover came off, but could go no further without removing a big part of the dash. Nary a sign of another bulb; it seemed like it would be part of a really significant-looking unit I couldn't get to. HOWEVER, the small cover had 2 wires plugged into it with a little connector. I finally pulled apart the connector and ViOLA' (sp.?) [Italian (or French) for EUERKA! (Greek word for "I have found it")] there was another little bulb, and it looked blackened.
Now I must just drop by my indy tomorrow, with a smug look, and buy some bulbs and hopefully get it back together being careful if there are any alignment issues.
Both of those bulbs must just pull out, but I'll check with my indy when I buy new ones.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That bulb just pulls straight out. The white that can be seen through the slit on the side stays in. The other bulb pulls out, too.

·
Registered
1998 SL500, Panoramic Roof, Factory Xenons, Black/Black/Black 2012 GLK350 Black/Beige
127 Posts
Great to hear that you have been able to "break the code" and get to the bulb(s). Thank you for the information I needed as well. As a relative "newbie" to 129 ownership, I have learned so much from this forum (and saved so many $$ in the process).

Best regards.

PS - I am originally from Maryville

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Great to hear that you have been able to "break the code" and get to the bulb(s). Thank you for the information I needed as well. As a relative "newbie" to 129 ownership, I have learned so much from this forum (and saved so many $$ in the process).

Best regards.

PS - I am originally from Maryville
I'm just so proud finally being a successful DIY.
Just pull the knob off and you can pull out and replace the bulb that's staring at you and makes the brilliant red light when the knob is fully pulled out.
If the illumination bulb is out, remove the giant nut and pull it out of the cover that comes off after the nut it removed (follow the 2 little wires to it).

The disheartening thing is you (I, at least) cannot see any illumination at all until it gets dark. Even trying to cover it with my hand didn't make it dark enough. But @ 7:00 P.M. VIOLA!(sp.?).

Don't mess with anything else behind the cover. I managed to move the 2 little ears that retain the unit behind, and it tends to move backwards and takes awhile with careful, gentlel use of needle nose pliers, a small screw driver and a lot of luck to get it back annd in place.

I got a white SL500 with an MLRB 2113 front plate if you're ever back around here

1 - 8 of 8 Posts