Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2005 A209 CLK500 Cabriolet
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

My convertible top finally gave up on me yesterday. The trunk separator is so weak that it won't push the switch button when I tried to open the top. Does anyone has a part number for the gas strut for 2005 W209 clk500? Any suggestion where to get it other than the dealership?

Also how hard is it to replace it? Anyone with access to WIS, mind sharing it with me? Based on my research, removing the gas strut sounds like it is going to be a bit of pain. Any trick or tip on how to do it easily? Many thanks everyone.

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550 FORMER: C300, ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
24,731 Posts
Search the forum - there are lots of thread on this. The cheapest place I've found for the struts is rmeuropean:

Mercedes-Benz CLK550 Base Convertible 209.472 5.5L V8 Partition Panel Shock

(I assume you are int he USA? Pleas update your forum user's profile with your location!)

As for installation, these attach like all of the Stabilus style struts. They clip onto a ball join. There is a spring steel clip on the strut that will need to be pulled back to release it. They can be replace through the trunk, but it's is easiest to do with the soft top partially open - with both the rear glass and the cover up.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Crap. A bit too much sun on me and I failed to read it properly before I ordered.

I guess, I'll just have to return it soon then.. Thanks Rod.

I found this on your suggested website for my clk500

http://www.rmeuropean.com/Products/2096900059-MFG24-V3710.aspx

And more of an FYI. The mercedes part number for this item is: 2096900059

·
24,731 Posts
Yep, that's the part. I bought these and my partition cover now locks in place tightly.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks for the tip with opening up the back of the convertible when the top is fully deployed. Definitely made it so much easier to fix.

I'm attaching the pictures of the old gas strut after I removed it from the joint ball. Sorry it's a bit blurry. Also, my car's position when I half opened it to make it easier to do the work per your advise, Rod. It took me less than 5 minutes to replace both of the struts.

Hopefully this will help others in the future when they try to do it themselves. Have fun. :)

Attachments

·
24,731 Posts
You are talking about the gas "Lift-o-Mat" struts for the luggage partition? If you can see the ends of it where they attach, you'll see a metal band wrapped around the end. This is a spring clip that locks the structs "socket" onto the "ball" it attaches to. Look at Ledude's post #7 above, the first photo. There is a small notch where you can place a flat blade screwdriver and pry out on the metal band. Try to just loosen it, not pry it off completely. With it slightly pulled back, it should release its grip on the ball and you can pull the strut off of it. If the clip does come off and fall into the trunk. it's no big deal as the new struts have new bands on them. Just make sure it doesn't get stuck onto any of the hydraulics or anything that would interfere with their operation. It's easiest to do this through the top, with the soft top cover lid and rear glass raised up.

·
Read Only
2008 AMG CLK63 Conv., 2012 R350 4-Matic, Wife's 2015 C300 sedan
0 Posts
Ping the testing clips off with a smallish flat bladed screwdriver, taking care not to let them fly across into the shrubbery of course, then pry off the ball joints with the same screwdriver.

Push the new struts over the ball joints until home. Then refit the retaining clips.

Simples.

·
Registered
2008 CLK-350 Convertible
371 Posts
Did this just now. Bought two gas cylinders off the bay ($48 delivered), opened the top half way (deck up, window up), pried the top band off enough to release the ball, twisted the bottom end (clockwise, ccw unscrews the rod from the socket) and it popped off the ball. Dab of grease in each socket of the new gas cylinder, popped the bottom end on, popped the top end on (didn't move the spring bands). Repeat for other side.

Easy repair, almost took longer to unpack the parts than install them. Old cylinders were shot, very weak.

There sure is a lot of monkey motion, latches, switches and plumbing under that rear deck . . .

Best Regards,

Mike/Florida

·
Registered
2006 CLK-350
8 Posts
TUFF SUPPORT 209-690-00-59 Partition Panel Shock from AUTOPLICITY.COM
SKU: T02-2096900059
$11.74 x2 $23.48

Thanks to all that diagnosed problem. Took about 10 minutes to get good light in the trunk, top half open, back window straight up. Old shock on driver's side had no spring left in it. Works great. (one clip popped off in trunk, I'll find it someday)

·
Registered
2008 CLK-350 Convertible
371 Posts
Phenomenally low price on the gas cylinders, good research!

Put them in your service records, I'm curious as to how long they'll last. I get a little bit nervous about paying the absolute rock bottom available price on things because sometimes the quality isn't there (and sometimes it is just the dealer's markup that isn't there).

I'm never averse to getting a good deal, so I'll go poke around the site you mention.

Best Regards,

Mike/Florida

·
Registered
3 Posts
Did this just now. Bought two gas cylinders off the bay ($48 delivered), opened the top half way (deck up, window up), pried the top band off enough to release the ball, twisted the bottom end (clockwise, ccw unscrews the rod from the socket) and it popped off the ball. Dab of grease in each socket of the new gas cylinder, popped the bottom end on, popped the top end on (didn't move the spring bands). Repeat for other side.

Easy repair, almost took longer to unpack the parts than install them. Old cylinders were shot, very weak.

There sure is a lot of monkey motion, latches, switches and plumbing under that rear deck . . .

Best Regards,

Mike/Florida
Hi Mike
could you give me the link to the Ebay site please?

[email protected]

·
Registered
2008 CLK-350 Convertible
371 Posts
Colin,

Try this:

ORDER TOTAL
US $49.80

1 item sold by mrlousstuff
Qty (1) Fits Mercedes CLK350 500 550 04-09 Conv Panel Lift Support 2096900059
( 232410914974 )

Qty 1 is a actually a pair, the MB part number is 2096900059, so that's your reference. Don't get the trunk gas cylinders by mistake, these are the partition cylinders.

You can probably beat the price, but not by a whole lot. I can tell you that these work perfectly, so it might be a false economy to buy a cheaper set. I don't know if this guy ships to Australia, though. You can go to the link and find the brand name there (I think it is LiftMaster or similar) to find a more local vendor.

Best Regards,

Mike/Florida

·
24,731 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Colin,

Try this:

ORDER TOTAL
US $49.80

1 item sold by mrlousstuff
Qty (1) Fits Mercedes CLK350 500 550 04-09 Conv Panel Lift Support 2096900059
( 232410914974 )

Qty 1 is a actually a pair, the MB part number is 2096900059, so that's your reference. Don't get the trunk gas cylinders by mistake, these are the partition cylinders.

You can probably beat the price, but not by a whole lot. I can tell you that these work perfectly, so it might be a false economy to buy a cheaper set. I don't know if this guy ships to Australia, though. You can go to the link and find the brand name there (I think it is LiftMaster or similar) to find a more local vendor.

Best Regards,

Mike/Florida
much appreciated Mike.
I called MB here this morning to be told the struts will come from Singapore and cost over $2000 !!!!! seriously. We get so screwed down here.

I appreciate your quick reply and info.
Ill let you know how I go.
(My daughter lives in NJ so she could post them if it comes to that.)

Cheers

Colin

·
Registered
2008 CLK-350 Convertible
371 Posts

Verily, Rudeney speaketh the truth . . . (again).

The killer will be freight if these are sourced here. I think I'd poke around the various sources and get manufacturers names and their proprietary part numbers, then see if anyone local has them. You have the MB part number, it has to cross reference to that no matter who makes it.

Best Regards,

Mike/Florida

·
Registered
2008 CLK-350 Convertible
371 Posts
much appreciated Mike.
I called MB here this morning to be told the struts will come from Singapore and cost over $2000 !!!!! seriously. We get so screwed down here.

I appreciate your quick reply and info.
Ill let you know how I go.
(My daughter lives in NJ so she could post them if it comes to that.)

Cheers

Colin

Holy Mother of Crapulosity!!!!

Tell you what, for $2,000 a pair, I'll deliver them personally! Always wanted to visit Oz ;-) Anything else you'd like me to bring?

Best.

Mike

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sometime the MB stealership think that just because they have the MB brand name, they can command whatever price they want to.. SMH.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.