Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had anyone ever used these for our cars? I know it's more pump than I'll need, but as long as I have the filter out, I figure the pumps should be swapped too.. Any comments?

·
Super Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,855 Posts
Too much fuel pressure can be a bad thing. I would make sure the rest of the fuel delivery system can handle it. Do the Walbro units have any type of adjustment for output pressure?

·
Registered
92 500SEL to 01 E320T current 2014 lexus LS460
3,886 Posts
Most MB fuel pumps have a good life cycle. The only issues have been early MLs where there was a rash of fuel pump failure problems (of course in addition to other issues) they went as far as blaming certain brands of gas

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So, will the 255s kill my fuel system? I know I need pumps (their flow SUCKS). Walbros are cheaper than MB OEM

·
Super Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,855 Posts
I am worried that the Walbros will damage any type of fuel pressure regulator systems on the vehicle if they are cranking out crazy amounts of fuel pressure.

Have you checked with a 3rd party OEM equivalent parts supplier. I just got tie rods and ball joints at autohausaz.com for less than half the price of OEM and thet are quality parts.

·
Registered
92 500SEL to 01 E320T current 2014 lexus LS460
3,886 Posts
rowingdude - 4/10/2006 9:02 AM

So, will the 255s kill my fuel system? I know I need pumps (their flow SUCKS). Walbros are cheaper than MB OEM
I do respect your opinion, are you experiencing a fuel delivery issue?
I am not too confidedant about all applications, but a typical mb system pressurizes the fuel rail, and then shuts off very quickly, if it does not notice flow. There is a regulator that bleeds excess fuel back to the tank, I dont think the extra pressure will enhance performance and might cause injectors to bleed.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Honestly, I'm interested in saving money, I don't give a hoot about performance. The fuel pumps are very noisy, and I am swapping the fuel filter so I hope that'll alleviate some of this excess noise

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Allow me to elaborate on "why"

a. HARD STARTS: I crank the car, it runs for 1 second and dies, I restart it and it cranks for a few seconds and then starts. After some studdering, it runs fine.

b. Sluggish midgear acceleration

c. Backfires when using cruise control

d. Rough idle at the stop light

e. NOISY FUEL PUMPS: No, my car did not come with much of an interior. I have been able to hear the fuel pumps and they're loud as hell. My Turbo RX7 wasn't nearly as loud as these.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts