Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
95 c220
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 95 c220 that has a bad front wheel bearing. I tried the search but did not find much. I ordered a new wheel beaing kit from Autohausaz. How hard is it to replace the bearings? I have basic skills. Any DYI threads would be appreicated

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
You can reference the DIYs in the 210 section. It's very labor intensive, if you're close to a brake job on the fronts do that at the same time. Hardest part is driving out the old outer races (and seating the new ones of course). OTOH, if it failed badly enough the inner race on the outer bearing can very nearly weld itself to the spindle (and that is a giant PITA), but of course you can't know that until you're in there.

MB also uses a free-play spec for the bearing adjustment; get it wrong and you'll trash the new bearing.

That said, you can buy all of the tools you'd need as well as the parts for less than a shop wil charge to swap one bearing, so it's worth getting your hands dirty.

Oh, and if you have never packed a tapered bearing before there is a trick to it, so search on youtube as there are plenty of how tos for that part.

Good luck.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
Here's a decent clip on repacking the bearing. I use more of a combination drag and tap, but work with what feels comfortable to you. The goal is to continue working in the same spot on the bearing until new grease appears on the "up" side between the inner race and the cage, then change the bearing position. Do not turn the bearing cage against the race, as that will ruin the packing you're doing. (You can buy a little device that is supposed to make this easier, but I've never used one so I can't speak to that.) I do recommend you buy a box of nitrile gloves and wear them, it cuts down on the dirt considerably (you won't be scrubbing under your nails for the next two weeks) and actually makes the repacking a bit easier.

Also, be sure to buy the MB wheel bearing grease (it's a weird green color, dealer only so far as I know, the tube is enough for a couple of jobs, about twelve bucks). It is lots more expensive, but you only do this every hundred thousand miles or so. And I'm assuming you got the seal with your kit from autohausaz, if not be sure to get one.

Here's the clip:

·
Registered
95 c220
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the clip, everyone on this site has been great with help. I had my 220 for three years now 175k miles on it and have not had to take it to the stealership yet. It still runs great but things are starting to ware out. What other 15 year old low end model car can you say that about. The body has even held up, just a little bubble cancer around the moldings. Looking for another 50k Thanks again

1 - 4 of 4 Posts