Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
92 300 CE
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
to replace the front speakers on a w 124 92 300 ce do i have to take apart the entire dashboard, or are the speaker covers removable?

·
Registered
1994 E320 Sedan
67 Posts
It's not hard at all:

1. On the dash you will see that the speaker grill is composed of two pieces; a narrow piece and a wide piece.

2. Take a penknife and gently (!) pry between the dash and the narrow piece on the end closest to you. The narrow piece will pop up.

3. Gently lift the narrow piece out and set aside.

4. You will then see two small screws at the top and bottom of the exposed fitting. Remove these with a small phillips.

5. Lift the wide piece out starting with the end with the screws. The piece connects at the other end via two small hooks.

The speakers themselves are held in by spring clips. Take the penknife and pry at the edge to unseat the speaker.

Hope this helps.

Scott

·
Registered
92 300 CE
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Scott,
The installation of my new speakers was easy thanks to your tips. By the way i put 4" Infinity speakers all around and two ten inch Rockford Fosgate XLC's in the trunk the system sounds great

Tim

·
Registered
1994 E320 Sedan
67 Posts
Sweet! Glad I could help.

·
Registered
1991 230E w124
40 Posts
Yah why didn't you go bigger? The standard rear speakers are 5 1/8 inches. And with 2 10" subs, the sound would theoretically be drowned out by the bass. But then again, the fuel tank is between the trunk and the rear seats, and generally in a 124, the street gets more benefit from the subs than the passengers in the cabin. Oh well. Glad it went ok for you. Remember, if you like it, keep it!

·
Registered
92 300 CE
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had purchased infinity 5 1/4" speakers for the back, but the metal frame around the cone kept the speakers from sitting down fully in the opening for them. So instead purchasing a different 5 1/4" from another manufacturer the installer said i should put the 4" back there too to keep the sound uniform. He was right becasue the 4" speakers have great sound for highs.

·
Registered
1990 Mercedes Benz 300 CE-24
7 Posts
Sweet! Glad I could help.
Hi Scott

I want to replace the speakers in my 1990 300 CE-24... is it the same procedure? I want to put newer, better speakers to replace the factory ones. One of the rear ones crackles when turned up loud. Mid range and bass are seriously lacking. Any advice welcome,

MJ.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts