Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
190E Auto LPG
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just bought a 1987 190E which has rust/dent and a bowed out wheel arch. Thought it would be better to replace the whole wing than try to repair it. Beevers autopanels list the panel at £24.48 +vat. How easy is it to remove and fit the new panel please?

·
Registered
190E 3.0
342 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Nice to see another UK member.
Piece of cake to change the front wings.
Open front door and undo three 10mm bolts between the open door and wing.
Pull off the plastic trim at the bottom of the wing, this reveals one or two more 10mm bolts.
Remove front indicator to reveal another bolt.
Remove 8mm screw fom lower headlamp trim and pull off trim. Where this trim meets the wing you will see the threaded part of a bolt you may be able to remove this without removing bumper. (depends how bendy your arms are.)
Remove 10mm bolt from side of bumper from inside wheel arch. The bumper then drops down to reveal another bolt.
Undo all the obvious bolts along the top of the wing.
Remove side repeater and pull upward on wing. Then just pop on the new one.
Did I say piece of cake? [:D]

·
Registered
190E Auto LPG
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Dan thankyou so much for the quick response...brilliant!!!

I have heard that the aftermarket wings are crap...poor quality and difficult to fit, also they rust within a year so might as well find a good one at a breaker's yard????

Ste

·
Registered
190E 3.0
342 Posts
From experience I do find the aftermarket wings don't last long, but they are about 1/3 the price of genuine ones. I fitted two wings to my last 2.6, one genuine and one aftermarket. The after market went rusty after a few months and the mb one is still good after a couple of years. However i did buy a new one from Eurocarparts for my current 190E, got it painted and it has sat in my workshop for a year and not gone rusty yet. I find most of their parts very good quality usually genuine at a fraction of the dealer cost.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts